VMware Cloud Community
jedijeff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Replication between Vcenter in enhanced linked mode

HI. I am playing around with vcenter enhanced link mode. So I have two vcenters sharing an external PSC and they are in enhanced link mode. The problem is when I install my first replication appliance it installs as mgt. When I install the appliance to the second Vcenter it installs as only a server. Can I not have a primary and dr site in enhanced link mode and use vSphere replication?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mvalkanov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

For the problematic VR appliance, can you check the content of /opt/vmware/etc/vami/ovfEnv.xml file?

Normally there is deployment_scenario property is this file and this is what determines how the appliance should behave - as combined (VRMS+VR server+embedded DB) or VR-server-only one.

If the ovfEnv.xml file is empty, please double check that the appliance has been deployed and powered on through vCenter. If the appliance is powered on through ESXi, the OVF environment will be empty and VRMS won't work. This is covered in the troubleshooting section of the admin guide.

If the ovfEnv.xml is non-empty, perhaps you should file a SR and have VMware support team assist.

Regards,

Martin

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
snekkalapudi
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I do have my lab setup the same way. 2 VCs with external PSC(Sharing same SSO domain) and VR works fine for me. Did you mean the VR instance on 1st VC is a VR Appliance(VRMS+VR Server) & the instance on 2nd VC is just VR Server ?

-Suresh
0 Kudos
jedijeff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yea that is what is happening to me. Did your install on the second VC install properly? It appears it did. Let me try again and thanks for the quick reply. Aso my lab is in Vcloud air so I have to fiddle the Mac addresses a bit but still I can't figure out why my second instance only got installed as a server

‌u

0 Kudos
mvalkanov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

For the problematic VR appliance, can you check the content of /opt/vmware/etc/vami/ovfEnv.xml file?

Normally there is deployment_scenario property is this file and this is what determines how the appliance should behave - as combined (VRMS+VR server+embedded DB) or VR-server-only one.

If the ovfEnv.xml file is empty, please double check that the appliance has been deployed and powered on through vCenter. If the appliance is powered on through ESXi, the OVF environment will be empty and VRMS won't work. This is covered in the troubleshooting section of the admin guide.

If the ovfEnv.xml is non-empty, perhaps you should file a SR and have VMware support team assist.

Regards,

Martin

0 Kudos
jedijeff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you.

0 Kudos