VMware Communities
VMwareuser1999
Contributor
Contributor

How do you setup a Virtual Machine for all user to access on a Mac

I did what apples support said to do to share apps and files on Mac by going to Utilities->Macintosh HD>show drive>shared folder> then dragging the programs and files into the shared folder. I also made sure the users had permission to use the files. However, the other user's can't access or start the virtual machine because when I try to import it VMware Fusion won't let me click on it to import it. Can anyone help.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
JessieZhang
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I am not quite sure I understand your question. Do you want all local users on your Mac machine to be able to access a VM? If yes, Fusion has a function to share a newly created VM to all local users on the Mac machine:

Click Fusion File -> New menu, follow the on-screen instruction to create a new VM. When you click Finish button to save the new VM, select to save the VM to "/Users/Shared" folder. By default Fusion will make the VM created under "/Users/Shared" accessible to all local users.

If you want an existing VM to be accessible to all local users on the Mac machine, try this:

Click Fusion File -> New menu, follow the on-screen instructions to create a new VM, when the 'Choose a Virtual Disk' screen appears, select "Use an existing virtual disk" option, click the "Choose virtual disk" button, select the vmdk file in your existing VM bundle. There are 3 options for you to choose on how to handle the vmdk file:

1) Make a separate copy of the virtual disk

2) Share this virtual disk with the virtual machine that created it

3) Take this disk away from the virtual machine currently using it.

Choose either 1) or 3), then go ahead to save the new VM to "/Users/Shared" folder.

0 Kudos