VMware Cloud Community
risingflight
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vcenter inventory service

Hi i am installing vcenter 5.5

I have installed vcenter sso on a seperate vm , vsphere web client on seperate vm,

shud vcenter inventory service and vcenter server reside on seperate vm or can reside on same vm.

since i also need to configure heart beat plz guide me

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JinuV
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Please note Vcenter heart beats is end of life

vCenter Server Heartbeat - End of Availability

VMware is announcing the End of Availability (EoA) of all VMware vCenter Server Heartbeat versions effective June 2, 2014. As a result, all versions of vCenter Server Heartbeat will be removed from the VMware price list on June 2, 2014. After this date, you will no longer be able to purchase these products.

You can install the vcenter inventory service and vcenter server on same VM or separate depend upon your environment load

0 Kudos
AdilArif
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You can install on separate VM's.

Cheers,

Adil Arif

Cheers, Adil Arif https://in.linkedin.com/pub/adil-arif/5b/a22/30 Blog: http://enterprisedaddy.com
0 Kudos
SavkoorSuhas
Expert
Expert

You can install vCenter and it's components (SSO, Web Client Inventory Service) all on the same server, each one on different servers, or mix them.

Hence, you can go for vCenter and inventory can be on same or different servers depending up on your requirement.

If you do not want to have single point of failure, then you can install each component on their own machine.

Suhas

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.

Don't Backup. Go Forward!
Rubrik

risingflight
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If it is end of life en thwhat is the alternative to heartbeat. Is vmware introducing another product

0 Kudos
SavkoorSuhas
Expert
Expert

We do not have any alternative right now. You can use vCenter as a VM with HA enabled cluster as alternative

High Availability for Virtual Infrastructure: vCenter Server Heartbeat | VMware India

If you are looking at redundancy for vCenter VM, you can probably give a try to Fault Tolerance provided that the FT constraints are met

Suhas

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.

Don't Backup. Go Forward!
Rubrik

EmanuelAlamo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I usually install all the services on same virtual computer, since vmware has recommended virtual machines for vcenter, you have tools like HA, to protect your vcenter server. I try install a DB on a separate server always I can.

Emanuel Álamo

NCDA+MCSA+MCSE+VCA-DCV
VCP-DCV+VCAP-DCA+VSP+VTSP

VMware Mobility

Regards from Brazil, Emanuel Álamo ------------------------------------------------------------------------ VSP+VTSP+VCP-DCV+VCAP-DCA AirWatch Expert+NCDA+MCSA+MCSE ------------------------------------------------------------------------ https://br.linkedin.com/in/emanuel-álamo-diógenes-1a662b27/en