VMware Cloud Community
MrVmware9423
Expert
Expert

upgrade query from esxi5.5 to esxi5.5patch4

Dear Team,

We r planning to upgrade our esxi from esxi5.5 to esxi patch5.5 patch4.

Our L3 Team already created the baseline. Now just want to know how to proceed with the next course of action.

I'm newbie hence please help me with detailed step for upgrade, also having below queries.

Also want to know before doing this type of upgrade  compatibility check s required

In cluster if we upgrade only one host from ESXi5.5 to 5.5patch4 then will we able to perform vmotion, ha, drs ,svmotion will work?

Appreciate help and support

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Nick_Andreev
Expert
Expert

To patch a host you need to put it in maintenance mode and then remediate using Update Manager. You may not worry about HA, DRS and VMotion. They are supported across vSphere 5 hosts of any update and patch level.

Regards,

Nick

---
If you found my answers helpful please consider marking them as helpful or correct.
VCIX-DCV, VCIX-NV, VCAP-CMA | vExpert '16, '17, '18
Blog: http://niktips.wordpress.com | Twitter: @nick_andreev_au
0 Kudos
MrVmware9423
Expert
Expert

Thanks Nick

Also want to know before doing this type of upgrade  compatibility check s required

In cluster if we upgrade only one host from ESXi5.5 to 5.5patch4 then will we able to perform vmotion, ha, drs ,svmotion will work?

Appreciate help and support

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Yes, no need to worry about this. Think about it, if this woudln't work, how would one be able to run an upgrade without downtime?

André

0 Kudos
Nick_Andreev
Expert
Expert

It will work. You can even have a mix of 5.5 and 6.0 hosts under a 6.0 vCenter and still VMotion between the nodes.

---
If you found my answers helpful please consider marking them as helpful or correct.
VCIX-DCV, VCIX-NV, VCAP-CMA | vExpert '16, '17, '18
Blog: http://niktips.wordpress.com | Twitter: @nick_andreev_au
0 Kudos
SavkoorSuhas
Expert
Expert

Hello

Once a baseline is created and the required patch is added to this baseline, then.

Go to admin view in update manager tab for this esxi host

Right click the host and select enter maintenance mode. All the vms must be migrated off to another host.

Click attach and select only this created baseline

Click scan and the compliance status should come up as non compliant. If it comes up as incompatible then please reboot the host and scan for compliance again

Click remediate, provide a task name, keep the default values and finish the upgrade.

You can check the update verification, by seeing the updated build number above summary tab and use VMware correlating build number kb to find the build.

Suhas

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.

Don't Backup. Go Forward!
Rubrik

0 Kudos