VMware Communities
taylorkh
Contributor
Contributor

Ubuntu Mate 15.10 in VMWare Player 6.06 - display sizing issue

I have been using VMWare Player for a long time. Generally without issue. I am running Player 6.0.6 build-2700073 on CentOS 6. I recently built an Ubuntu Mate 15.10 64 bit virtual machine. I installed the OS manually as the Mate version does not install the build-essential package by default and the auto install of Vmware Tools never completes. After the initial install I then installed all updates, rebooted to the new kernel and then installed build-essential. The VMWare Tools install and configuration went smoothly using all default choices.

When I launch the machine it comes up windowed (that is not full screen). Normally if I login to a virtual machine and then maximize the VMWare Player window the virtual machine display will expand to fit the maximized window. With Ubuntu Mate 15.10 this rarely happens. That is to say I have had the display expand two or three times over several builds and reboots, log out/in, reduce and expand the window etc. It does not exhibit any consistency and is not reproducible.

For my next trick I built an Ubuntu 15.10 virtual machine by the same process with the exception of installing build-essential. I was informed that it was already installed when I attempted to install the package. This virtual machine display will follow the VMWare Player window when I maximize it.

I then manually installed Mate on the Ubuntu virtual machine. This seems to have broken the ability of the vm's screen to expand. I removed Mate and it is still broken.

I have used Ubuntu Mate 15.04 and not experienced this problem. I have no idea where to start looking. Can anyone offer some advice?

TIA,

Ken

0 Kudos
0 Replies