VMware Cloud Community
Coliban
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How too boot a client from USB-Stick?

Hello,

i am trying to boot a vmware linux client from an usb-stick (which has an linux installer inside).

I can create a host controller and a usb-device. When i am booting the system says, that the usb-stick is connected to that client machine.

But i never managed to boot from usb-stick, the boot-process *always* tries to get a response from an dhcp-server. When i go to the bios setup, i can only select a "removable device", until now, i didn´t find any usb-device from which to boot.

Is usb-boot possible on esxi or should i try a workaround?

regards

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

It may be worth trying Plop Boot Manager 5.0‌ to see whether this works with your USB distribution.

André

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Coliban
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hmm,

i´ve tried nearly all combinations, booting an iso image, but no success until now.

I´ve tried to connect the iso-imae to the CD-drive

i´ve tried too boot directly from an attached usb

i´ve tried to boot an iso image which i copied to the esxi-server

But no success, the boot-process never get aware that there is an iso-image. I took the us-stick and tried in in a regular machine, the machine booted correctly, so i guess that the stick is ok. When i copy the stick with "dd", the esxi-server seems not to recognize it, although the iso copy was taken from a regular and correct stick.

When i try to copy the image to the directory where the iso-images live, it says, "no space on device".

(It is an obstacle that esxi-gui is only running on windows, although the esxi -server is based on linux, that is an additional level of difficulties)

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

It may be worth trying Plop Boot Manager 5.0‌ to see whether this works with your USB distribution.

André

Coliban
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you, Andre.

I´ve tried to start the plp iso in esxi within a new machine, but it is not recornized by the server, so it still searched for a dhcp server....

regards

Update:

Now, it is booting (i had to connect the iso file again to the vm).

I try to provide an iso file, perhaps over an usb stick. I will inform you about the progress.

regards

----

update:

The ESXi will let me connect the usb-stick, but the virtuell machine does not recognize the connected usb-stick.

regards

0 Kudos