VMware Cloud Community
sgunelius
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

SMB-Sized High Performance Environment - Microsoft Exchange 2016

We've virtualized about 70% of our server environment (~200 servers) including Exchange 2010; (2) VMs for CAS/HT and (2) VMs for Mailbox/DAG.  We've built the environment using ProLiant BL46x servers and Tegile hybrid storage array accessed over 4Gb SAN.  We're using ESXi 5.x/6.x and booting locally.  Our network is accessed over multiple 4x1GbE LACP configured in each of our c7000 enclosures.  I'm preparing to replace my oldest servers (5-7 years old) with support for Exchange 2016 and other, more resource hungry virtualized workloads in mind, but am doing a gut check now. I intended to purchase BL460c Gen9s with dual 16/18-core processors, each with at least 512GB RAM and was considering booting ESXi from MicroSD slot to free up the internal SFF drive bays for SSD to support vFRC.  The hybrid array where our datastores reside just received a shelf of all-flash, so I can support datastores with high I/O requirements there.

If I had a green field or was doing more than server virtualization, I'd probably look at converged/hyperconverged solutions, but with investments already made for hypervisor software and storage, I don't think that's option.  Did I miss any part of the equation here?  Thank you in advance for your feedback.

Scott

0 Kudos
0 Replies