5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2015 5:43 AM by firstcom

One golden image, multiple VLANS

firstcom Lurker

Hello! I'm hoping that someone can help us out, as we're experiencing an issue that I'm guessing folks have run into before.

I work for a company that has a separate VLAN/subnet for each department and remote location in the company. So one remote location may have an range of 100.100.100.x but another remote location would be 100.100.101.x. We have configured separate network adapters in vcenter for each of these VLANs. And once connected, they obtain their IP via DHCP/DHCP reservations.

Many of our remote locations and departments can use a single golden image that's customized via scripts from there. Each of our locations are also required to have their own desktop pool because machine names in each of our departments/remote locations have to be consistent and specific.

However, the inability to choose a network adapter on a desktop pool level is causing problems. This seems to be only be configurable on the golden image VM in VCenter that's assigned to that desktop pool, but when you have different desktop pools that use the same golden image but need different network adapters assigned it's causing a problem.

I did read some articles about the network label specification file generation, however that isn't going to work with our environment because we'd require more flexibility with VM naming schemes.

Has anyone else devised a convenient and streamlined way to use a single golden image across multiple VLANs in their environment?

Thank you!

• 1. Re: One golden image, multiple VLANS
          AlexeyKhudyakov Enthusiast

Hi,

I see the two way for solving.

1. You can make several golden images for each subnet.

2. You can use separate snapshots of master image. For example, a first snapshot for the pool with a subnet 100.100.100.0/24 and a second snapshot for the the pool with a subnet 100.100.101.0/24

• 2. Re: One golden image, multiple VLANS
            mpryor Master
            VMware Employees

We've actually supported this for quite some time: VMware View 5.2 Documentation Library

The multi-vlan feature was primarily added to allow spanning of multiple vlans within a single pool, but you can equally just use it to set a single one. This will replace the network adapter settings of the parent image.

Mike

• 3. Re: One golden image, multiple VLANS
              firstcom Lurker

Mike,

As I mentioned in my original post, I've looked at this but it won't work in our environment - at least not easily.

Due to reasons I won't explain in detail, we are forced to used named devices. Our entire infrastructure is built around these named devices, and changing them is a ton of work.

The problem with the feature you're describing is the lack of flexibility with the naming conventions.

We may have one remote have devices named, for example, DEV01400 - DEV01420.

Another branch may have devices DEV01450 - DEV01475.

When you use the PowerCLI cmdlet you are given one naming opportunity when creating the pool.

If you know of a way to drill it down and specify individual names or groups of names (where I can specify, for example, DEV01400 - DEV01420, for example), I'd love to know! I have yet to hear about a way of doing this. As far as I know we'd have to reserve a at least 100-block of "device names" for each VLAN and use something like DEV014{n:fixed=2}

• 4. Re: One golden image, multiple VLANS
                mpryor Master
                VMware Employees

Sorry, I hadn't understood that what you're after is explicit naming and VLAN assignment per VM and not just VLAN assignment per pool. This isn't really a scenario that the product is designed for but you can get there by setting up a new pool in the UI with a list of VM names in advance (making sure you don't enable provisioning up front) and then configure the pool's vlan setting using the cmdlet before enabling provisioning to allow the VMs to be created, but that isn't something that's really scalable from a management perspective. This is the "Specify names manually" setting in the "Provisioning Settings::Virtual Machine Naming" section.

• 5. Re: One golden image, multiple VLANS
                  firstcom Lurker

Yeah, that's what I've been using so far and I've been looking to automate things.

As we roll out VDI we could potentially redo the device names in our company to make this set up a bit more feasible, but I was hoping to avoid that.