VMware Cloud Community
ppgdtap
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

either bootbank or locker aren't set error during install

trying to re-install 5.1U3 and the install is failing with "either bootbank or locker aren't set error during install"

esxi was installed on sd card and the local raid1 drive was used for scratch etc.

it did not provide an option to upgrade so after the failed install it now says no hypervisor found and I don't have a way to change old config re scratch etc.

why are we getting "either bootbank or locker aren't set error during install"? I raised a case with VMware, but unfortunately its been 24h and they've not done anything to help me yet so I am not holding my breath...

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ppgdtap
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

no, single ESXi install on sd card.

after re-install failed, esxi can no longer boot thus I have no access to logs - had to format sd with a third-party utility to be able to install.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Techie01
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Can you paste the log from /var/log/esxi_install.log.

The error could be coming since the installer is failing to detect either bootbank or locker partition in the existing installation.

Did you had multiple esxi instllation ( one on sd card and one on hard disk). This also potentially causes this.

0 Kudos
ppgdtap
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

no, single ESXi install on sd card.

after re-install failed, esxi can no longer boot thus I have no access to logs - had to format sd with a third-party utility to be able to install.

0 Kudos