VMware Cloud Community
Sangokan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Limit bandwidth used by Vsphere Replication

We have setup a VMWare Data-center  with 3 hosts, licensed with Essential Plus.

One host is in a Hong-Kong Office, it runs a dozen development servers.

The 2 other hosts are located in a Singapore Data-center, one host runs a couple of Virtual Machines while the other runs the VSphere Replication appliance (nothing else).

All 3 hosts runs in the same Data-center.

We are experiencing the issue that replication is using all the available bandwidth between Hong Kong and Singapore, i have searched for ways to limit the VR traffic without any luck.

I have found this article but it mentions the use of Distributed Switch http://wahlnetwork.com/2014/08/27/vsphere-replication-powercli/

and we do not use Distributed Switch.

Could we apply the same type of restrictions as mentioned in the article without using Distributed Switch?

If not would that make sense to recreate all my Virtual Switches under a Distributed Switch?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
vbrowncoat
Expert
Expert

NIOC requires a DVS. If you need a way to control replication bandwidth, and you can't do it with your network devices (QOS, etc), then yes, a DVS would be a good way to go.

If you use VR 6 it will allow you to separate your management and replication traffic. That will make managing your replication traffic easier regardless of which route you go down (network or vDS).

0 Kudos