VMware Cloud Community
tickermcse76
Contributor
Contributor

What is the best way to deploy new VM's from template with different number of NIC's?

I currently have a VM template with a single NIC that we deploy though automation (PowerShell/PowerCLI/DSC) using customization specification.  I now need the ability to deploy the VM's with either 1, 2, or 3 NIC's.  Ideally I want to maintain a single VM template as the contents would be identical aside from the difference in NIC count.

Aside from maintaining 3 templates what are my other options?  Customization specification can only configure existing NIC's but cannot add them, correct?  Is my only option to add additional NIC's via PowerCLI after the template has been deployed, and then configure them after the OS has booted?  All assigned IP's would be static so ideally I would like to use customization specification to configure all NIC's, as the primary NIC is already being configured that way.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

You could consider having a Template with 3 NICs, and then have 3 different (temp) OSCustomizationSpecs, with 1 NIC, 2 NICs or 3 NICS.

Then you would need to optionally remove 1 or 2 NICs after the VM has been created.

But all customization of the network settings would be done from an OSCustomizationSpec

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos