VMware Communities
Jerry_G
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 8.0.1-Minibar will not auto hide/show

As the title indicates, with v8.0.1, I can no longer get the full screen minibar to auto show when I bump the mouse cursor along the left window border. Never had this problem with version 7.

15 Replies
VIR2AL3X
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Jerry_G,

Are you referring to the machine's console window bar at the top of a VM when in full screen mode?  As in this pic?  If so, I am not having any issues with it in 8.0.1 but I have see this happen to me before in 7.x

Try hitting Control + Command to release the mouse from the VM then move the mouse cursor to the very top of the VM window and see if the menu bar unhides.

2015-10-05_14-45-33.png

0 Kudos
Jerry_G
Contributor
Contributor

No. I was referring to the short mini bar that I park on the left side of the screen. There are options to alway show, always hide, or to automatically show/hide. With this last option, moving to mouse cursor to the area of the mini bar will make it visible and it will hide again when the mouse is moved away. That functionality no longer works with 8.0.1.

0 Kudos
VIR2AL3X
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ahh yes, I apologize for the confusion.  You are referring to this minibar...

2015-10-05_15-10-42.png

I can confirm, this appears to be a bug as I also have mine set to auto show/hide and when I jump to full screen is retracts off the screen and moving the mouse cursor to that area will not make it pop out.

However, I did just notice that, if you are using multiple desktop spaces, move the cursor to where the pop out should be, then you can swipe to a different desktop space and back which will cause it to briefly pop back out.

0 Kudos
MattBirminghamG
Contributor
Contributor

Bump.

I am also having this same issue. This started misbehaving in VMWare Fusion 8.0 on OSX Yosemite.

The Auto Show feature used to be tied to "bumping" your cursor in the direction of where you had set it; e.g. bump cursor to the left to view the minibar if that's where you pinned it.

Now, the minibar will only show if you push your mouse to the top of the screen and wait for the OSX VMWare menu to pop up.

0 Kudos
Jerry_G
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the confirmation. I'm disappointed in some of the very obvious bugs that didn't get caught in testing.

But this nightmare crippling bug in v7 and v8 with El Capitan and multiple monitors and not having the 2nd monitor recognized is the most troubling issue of all. I have serious concerns about how well tests were done with El Capitan and two monitors in full screen mode. I hope parallels did a better job. I want El Capitan and I need both monitors to work, so I may have to buy parallels and ditch Fusion. Sad.

0 Kudos
Darcyz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Jerry,

Welcome to Fusion community.

We have noticed this problem and thanks for raising the issue to make Fusion better.

Thanks,

Roger

0 Kudos
vanRijn
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

> But this nightmare crippling bug in v7 and v8 with El Capitan and multiple monitors and not having the 2nd monitor recognized is the most troubling issue of all. I have serious concerns about how well tests were done with El Capitan and two monitors in full screen mode. I hope parallels did a better job. I want El Capitan and I need both monitors to work, so I may have to buy parallels and ditch Fusion. Sad.

Hey there. I'm trying to understand what you're hitting here. Specifically, "nightmare crippling bug in v7 and v8 with El Capitan and multiple monitors and not having the 2nd monitor recognized"....

As I understand it, the problem you're reporting is that the fullscreen mini-bar doesn't show up automatically when you move your mouse over the area where it's supposed to show up? Like, on the left or right edge of the fullscreen VM?

Could you please help me understand your layout and configuration?

- Do you have "DIsplays have separate spaces" check in System Preferences > Mission Control?

- What is your host monitor topology? Could you add a screenshot that shows System Preferences > Displays > Arrangement and attach it to your next post?

- Can you please describe the exact steps you're taking to enter fullscreen? Do you use all monitors in fullscreen mode or just one? What monitor do you open Fusion in and go into fullscreen mode?

- Where do you position the fullscreen mini-bar? I'm assuming you have auto-hide mini-bar checked?

I'm sorry you're hitting problems with this and this is something that I'm looking into right now. So please don't think your problem is being ignored, etc. But I'm trying to understand how this is affecting your workflow such that you'd feel compelled to buy Parallels. Can you help me understand how this blocks you? Is it that you can't switch host spaces because of it? Or is it that you're trying to interact with the mini-bar on a regular basis and are unable to? As someone else mentioned, if you ungrab via keyboard (press Control + Command and then release them), the fullscreen mini-bar should display immediately.

Thanks for the problem report, definitely. And I agree, it's unfortunate that we didn't catch the fact that the fullscreen mini-bar doesn't show itself when you hover over the edge of the screen. But I'm trying to understand exactly what it is that you're trying to do that this problem is causing you to be unable to do, or how this is blocking you from doing what you're trying to do.

Thanks! =:)

0 Kudos
zhus
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for reporting.

There is a workaround provided in the Release Notes of Fusion 8.0. For your references. You can use it to make it work before it gets fix.

When the Full Screen Minibar is hidden at the edge of the screen, hovering the cursor over it does not make it appear

This issue occurs in Full Screen mode when the Full Screen Minibar is hidden at the edge of the screen. After you select View > Full Screen Minibar > Automatically Hide And Show, hovering the cursor over the Minibar does not make it appear.

Workaround: Press Command-Control to release the mouse.

0 Kudos
VIR2AL3X
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

0 Kudos
MattBirminghamG
Contributor
Contributor

Big note!! This only seems to happen when Fusion is in Full Screen on the internal system. I.e. I'm running a late model MBP (MacBook Pro, Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) and run Fusion on the laptop screen. This does not happen while in Full Screen mode on an external monitor.

[Edited to add details about screen layout]

Questions answered as best as I could.

[the] problem you're reporting is that the fullscreen mini-bar doesn't show up automatically when you move your mouse over the area where it's supposed to show up? Like, on the left or right edge of the fullscreen VM?

Yes, that's correct.

Do you have "Displays have separate spaces" check[ed] in System Preferences > Mission Control?

Yes, but I didn't go out of my way to set that. I believe that is the default(?)

What is your host monitor topology?

Not sure if this matters. I have the issue in both multi-monitor and single-monitor mode*. Below is my setup when at my desk (60% of my day). Fusion runs on my internal (laptop) screen. *However, I did find that moving the VM to any external monitor will have the Minibar behave normally; it popped up within 2 seconds of hovering on the left.

Screen Shot 2015-10-22 at 9.42.49 AM.png

Can you please describe the exact steps you're taking to enter fullscreen? Do you use all monitors in fullscreen mode or just one? What monitor do you open Fusion in and go into fullscreen mode?

I primarily use the green, "Full Screen" button in the top left of the Fusion window:

Screen Shot 2015-10-22 at 9.46.48 AM.png

I just tried the menu option VMWare Fusion -> View -> Full Screen as well as the shortcut: ^⌘F. All display the described issue.

Where do you position the fullscreen mini-bar? I'm assuming you have auto-hide mini-bar checked?

I have my settings to

• View -> Full Screen Minibar -> Automatically Hide and Show, and
  • View -> Full Screen Minibar -> Position on Screen -> Left

Can you help me understand how this blocks you? Is it that you can't switch host spaces because of it? Or is it that you're trying to interact with the mini-bar on a regular basis and are unable to?

The latter; I often want to switch between full screen and single window. Waiting for the bar to (never) pop up is a pain.

0 Kudos
MattBirminghamG
Contributor
Contributor

@zhus, This doesn't resolve my issue.

0 Kudos
MattBirminghamG
Contributor
Contributor

@lopezal1, This doesn't resolve my issue.

0 Kudos
Jerry_G
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry for the confusing report.

The auto hide/show bug was one thing,

The other "crippling" issue turned out not to be an issue. The problem was not having separate spaces checked in mission control. I had tried to check that early in my testing, but there was a problem that made me uncheck it. I eventually had to check it again to make Fusion work and then come up with another workaround to deal with the problem that when going from Fusion Windows screens to the mac desktop screens, both did not go simultaneously. Perhaps that is an apple issue. But my workaround, using a macro sequence in Keyboard Maestro, worked.

0 Kudos
VIR2AL3X
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

MattBirminghamGCU‌ - I have the same issue as well, and did not state that my previous post resolved the issue.  Was just adding a reference link to the described WA from VMware.  Still hoping for a fix...

0 Kudos
Jerry_G
Contributor
Contributor

I find it very hard to believe that this wasn't fixed in 8.0.2, but it doesn't appear to be fixed, even after Roger acknowledged the issue:

"Hi Jerry,

Welcome to Fusion community.

We have noticed this problem and thanks for raising the issue to make Fusion better.

Thanks,

Roger"

0 Kudos