VMware Communities
wplate
Contributor
Contributor

El Capitan on Fusion 8, Display resolution only option 1024x768

I have Fusion 8.01 installed and today I created a virtual machine for OS X 10.11.

The screen resolution is to 1024x768, and that's the only option. How can I choose other resolutions? Searching the forum I didn't find an answer.

I use Fusion in isolated single window mode.

13 Replies
isidevteam
Contributor
Contributor

Had same issue with display resolution.   I installed VMware Tools to correct problem.  Ensure VM is running, then select Virtual Machine -> Install VMware Tools.

0 Kudos
wplate
Contributor
Contributor

Installing VM Tools didn't change it for me. I uninstalled Tools and then installed again and restarted. But still only 1024x768.

1024.png

0 Kudos
MacsRule
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

It's been my experience that with SIP (System Integrity Protection), a new feature in El Cap, enabled, installing tools will appear to be successful but it's not. You need to disable SIP and to do that, restart and boot into Recovery (Cmd+R when you see the VMware logo). Open Terminal, enter csrutil disable, quit Terminal, restart, invoke Reinstall Tools but run the Uninstall routine first, then Install. Reboot again into Recovery. Turn SIP back on with csrutil enable and reboot normally again. You should have a range of resolutions to choose from.

wplate
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately not working for me. Here's a screen recording...

Vmware Tools and 10.11 guest - YouTube

0 Kudos
MacsRule
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

That video was very helpful. It looks like you skipped the step of uninstalling Tools before reinstalling them, which can be done one right after the other without rebooting. Part of the problem is that the installation dialog says the installation is successful even when it's not. And when you reboot, you can go right back into Recovery to re-enable SIP. This process may not work for everyone but it worked for me and was necessary every time there was an upgrade to the El Cap installation.

0 Kudos
wplate
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks. That video didn't show uninstalling because I had already run the uninstaller.

I have tried this process over and over, and I have uninstalled and reinstalled many times.

Here's another video. This time I believe I recorded it all in exactly the right order...

vmware Fusion tools 10.11 - YouTube

0 Kudos
Darcyz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi wplate.

Welcome to Fusion community.

About the resolution cannot change , it is by design when the Mac OS is guest. In other word, if the virtual machine is mac OS, the resolution cannot be changed from the display page.

=================

You can try in this way to change it:

single window mode:   drag and drop the virtual machine window. (the resolution will change automatically based on your windows size)

Full Screen mode:   it will display the full screen default resolution, if want to change the resolution in Full Screen mode, you can go to the VMware Fusion->Setting->Display->Virtual Machine Resolution->Full Screen to modify it.

===================

Thanks for using Fusion and Fusion community again

Darcy

0 Kudos
MacsRule
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I'm not sure I understand you correctly:

"About the resolution cannot change , it is by design when the Mac OS is guest. In other word, if the virtual machine is mac OS, the resolution cannot be changed from the display page."

Do you mean that there will be only one resolution option, as shown in wplate's screen shot, by design? Following the instructions I offered results in a whole list of possible resolution options, not just 1024x768. That single choice only occurs after an OS update in the Mac OS 10.11 guest and that can be fixed as I've explained.

0 Kudos
Darcyz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You are Right. There is some different between the windows virtual machine and mac virtual machine.

When the virtual machine is Mac OS, not matter 10.10, 10.11, the display can only show the current resolution, you cannot change it from this display setting.

if wanna change the single windows resolution, you should drag and drop the virtual machine window directly.

Thanks and Regards

Roger

0 Kudos
MacsRule
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Well, I guess that's my question: how is it that I can change the resolution from within the Mac OS guest once Tools is successfully installed, meaning it has to be uninstalled first. The only explanation I can think of is that I'm still using Fusion 7.0.1 even though I've already purchased the Fusion 8 license.

0 Kudos
wplate
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you.

Can I ask WHY Fusion is designed this way?

0 Kudos
wplate
Contributor
Contributor

I received a phone call today from VMware tech support.

He showed me that the way to change the resolution is to change the size of the window.

I guess I can have any size window I want, though I wish I had a list of options to select from.

0 Kudos
vertrek
Contributor
Contributor

@MacsRule I disabled SIP, rebooted and without installing tools at all or in the first place, my resolution after disabling SIP automatically changed to 1920x1080 and gave me more options too. You dont need tools to do this. Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos