VMware Communities
unclefreddie70
Contributor
Contributor

Problem with Fusion 8 Pro and creating VMs on ESXi hosts

Hi,

As you know, Fusion can be used as a rudimentary GUI for ESXi. I have created a VM on an ESXi host using Fusion 8 Pro, but powering on that VM results in no network adapter activation, so I can't image an OS onto the VM.

Steps to replicate:

• Use Fusion 8 Pro to connect to an ESXi host.
  • "Create a new virtual machine" on the ESXi host.
  • Use "Connect CD/DVD Drive" to attach a boot ISO of your choice to the VM
  • Start the VM

The VM will boot off the boot ISO; at some point it will fail during the activating networking stage and issue a message to the effect that it cannot continue.

Networking should become active at some point during startup, especially since "Connect At Power On" is checked, but never does.

In Fusion 8 Pro, when handling VMs on the ESXi host, whenever I click the "Connect Network Adapter" checkbox, it will not stick. That looks like the problem. Not sure if it's happening inside Fusion 8 Pro or inside ESXi, though, if you know what I mean.

If I do the exact same imaging process above all in Fusion 8 Pro, it works fine. The VM is created and imaged locally.

Please help, as I would really like to use Fusion 8 Pro to create and administer VMs on my ESXi host. If you need screenshots, I can provide them.

I'm using Fusion 8 Pro v8.0.1 and ESXi 6.0U1. Both are the newest versions.

Thanks.

Uncle

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'll look into this... are you using NAT or Bridged?

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

(NAT or Bridged on the ESXi virtual host...)

I gave it a shot with NAT, I got the same results.

ESXi installs fine, etc.

Connect to the remote ESXi "server" - OK

Create new remote VM - OK

Ubuntu server 14.04 -> Installation begins, but the network adapter is disconnected, can't connect it.

I'll bring it up with the team to investigate further.

-
0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

Weird tho, my Ubuntu server VM does have a NIC but shows as disconnected in the UI still.  During the install I had to add the networking details manually (IP, gateway, netmask), but they were applied to the guest... 

-
0 Kudos
unclefreddie70
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Mike. I'm using Bridged. And the distro I was using in the example was CentOS 6. I don't think it matters what you use, though. Thanks!

0 Kudos
unclefreddie70
Contributor
Contributor

CentOS 6.6 to be exact...  Thanks.

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks, I was able to verify the bug and raised the issue with the development teams.  We're investigating.

Again, it looks like in my case the NIC is there, just not being properly represented in the UI.

-
0 Kudos