VMware Communities
musesupport
Contributor
Contributor

vmx syntax error

hello --

i've been searching for an answer to this without luck, and i'm waiting for tech support to get back to me even though they're doing me a "favor" because it's an old version.

we have 10+ macs with varying operating systems running various versions of vmware fusion. but the issue is on a machine running OSX 10.7.5, and running VMWare Fusion 4.1.4 to mount a Windows 7 image.

when the user tries to run the image, we currently getting an error: ....".vmx has a syntax error on line 1".

i can open the vmx file in textedit -- but i'm not certain where the error is or how to fix it.

i read elsewhere that you can find the info in the log files -- but what info, where, and what do i do with it?

any help would be appreciated. i'd rather not have to reinstall windows 7 and set the user up again if i don't have to.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Please attach the VM's configuration (.vmx) file to a reply post. If the VM's folder/package contains a vmware*.log file from the time when the VM was still ok, attach this file too.

André

0 Kudos
musesupport
Contributor
Contributor

here's an archive of the vmx file and the log files.

thanks.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

With VMware Fusion closd, replace the VM's corrupted .vmx file with the one I recreated from the latest vmware.log.

André

0 Kudos
musesupport
Contributor
Contributor

that worked like a charm. thanks.

if it's not too much of a bother -- would you mind telling me what was done? in case it happens again, it'd be great if i could resolve it on my own -- even though i appreciate your generosity in fixing it for me.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The vmware.log contains the information from the configuration file. So all that needs to be done is to extract the required lines, and format them (i.e. add quotes for the values). If you are interested take a look at Re: VMX corrupt file where you can find a (WIndows/DOS) batch script which does the job.

André

0 Kudos
musesupport
Contributor
Contributor

thanks!

0 Kudos