VMware Communities
AlexFriday
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Snapshot fails on VMWare Workstation 11 Pro

Hello,

I have created a VM on VMWare Workstation 11 Pro with Windows Server 2008 R2 and named it "HYP". When I am trying to take a snapshot, I am getting the following message box:

VMware Workstation cannot find the virtual disk "G:\YP.vmdk". Verify the path is valid and try again.

The system cannot find the file specified

Cannot open the disk 'G:\HYP-000001.vmdk' or one of the snapshot disks it depends on.

An operation required the virtual machine to quiesce and the virtual machine was unable to continue running.

Once I click OK in the above message box, the VM powers off and then I cannot power it on again - I am getting the following message:

File not found: YP.vmdk

This file is required to power on this virtual machine. If this file was moved, specify the new location.

Note that I could power on and off this VM with no problem before I tried to take the snapshot.

How could I possible have it fixed?

Many thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AlexFriday
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I found where the issue was. When I was creating this VM, I indicated Location for the new VM as just a new drive G. After I had deleted this VM and created a new one in "G:\FolderName", the new VM started creating snapshots fine.

It is important to indicate the folder (no just a new drive letter) as Location for the new VM.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AlexFriday
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I found where the issue was. When I was creating this VM, I indicated Location for the new VM as just a new drive G. After I had deleted this VM and created a new one in "G:\FolderName", the new VM started creating snapshots fine.

It is important to indicate the folder (no just a new drive letter) as Location for the new VM.

0 Kudos
chaithu4u
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

hi

Please find the link how to trouble shooting setps for snap shot fails

VMware KB: Troubleshooting snapshot failures in VMware ACE, Server, or Workstation

AlexFriday
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks so much! I appreciate this link!

0 Kudos