VMware Networking Community
Coldpawz
Contributor
Contributor

Where does the L2 bridging instance live?

Hey guys,

I'm a little lost here with where the L2 Bridging instance lives within the environment. I understand its on a specific ESXi host - but which one, and why?

In the design guide (page 91 - paragraph above the image) it states:

"First of all, let’s recall that the L2 bridging function for a given VXLAN-VLAN pair is always performed on one specific ESXi host. Since the L2 bridge instance configuration is always associated with the configuration of a specific DLR, the active bridge functionality is performed by the specific ESXi hosts where the active control VM for that DLR is running."

My question really comes from the last sentence "Since the L2 bridge instance configuration is always associated with the configuration of a specific DLR, the active bridge functionality is performed by the specific ESXi hosts where the active control VM for that DLR is running."

What is the 'active control VM'? Are we talking about controllers, or the DLR VM? My initial guess would be the DLR VM, but I feel that's just me making a 50-50 guess

Any explanations would be very much appreciated!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Coldpawz
Contributor
Contributor

Managed to answer my own question and it's literally the line below the one I asked about.

"As shown in Figure 107, all the L2 bridging instances defined on a given DLR would be active on the ESXi host in edge rack 1 where the corresponding DLR Active Control VM is running. That said, it is possible to create multiple sets of bridging instances and associate them with different DLRs, so to be able to spread the bridging load across different ESXi hosts"

I've only just got my morning coffee too, guess I should have tried drinking it before reading the design guide!

0 Kudos