VMware Edu & Cert Community
GreenIT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VCP5-DCV

Good Morning -

I had attended what's new vSphere 4.x training but did not get certified. I am panning for VCP5-DCV certification now. Is VMware vSphere: What's New [V4.x to V5.5] a qualifying course?

Thanks !

8 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Check Path 3 on this page: (VCP5-DCV) VCP-Data Center Virtualization

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
GreenIT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks ! I completed a 5 day  course VMware Infrastructure 3: Fast Track V3.5. and then VMware vSphere: What's New [V4.0]. Is that a qualifying course for VCP4-DCV Certification?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

That combination of FT 3.5 and WN 4.x would have qualified you for VCP4-DCV, but I'm not 100% sure if that carries through to you qualifying for VCP5-DCV if you took WN 5.x. Drop an email to certification@vmware.com to get clarification.

One issue you might face is the lack of WN 5.x classes now scheduled, the latest WN class is for 5.x > 6.0 - but that won't help you.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
GreenIT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks Scott ! I reached the certification folks and they accept the following courses:

VMware vSphere: Fast Track [V5.x]

•   VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage [V5.x]

•   VMware vSphere: Optimize and Scale [V5.x]

•   VMware vSphere: Troubleshooting Workshop [V5.x]

I do not want to take VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage [V5.x] as I have attended FT 3.5 and WN 4.x

Any recommendations on if I should take VMware vSphere: Optimize and Scale [V5.x] or Install, configure, Manage  [6] ? My goal is VCP certification

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If it was me in your shoes, I'd go for:

1. v5 O&S training

2. pass VCP550 exam

3. pass 2V0-621D exam

Parts 1 and 2 will get you VCP5-DCV, then adding part 3 will also give you VCP6-DCV.

0 Kudos
GreenIT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks much !

0 Kudos
GreenIT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Scott,  which exam is more difficult v5 O&S  or v6 Install, configure, manage. Thanks

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You mean which course?

v5 O&S has v5 ICM as a pre-req

v6 ICM is just an update to v5 ICM

So, O&S is a higher-level course.

But your previous training puts you at an ICM level already, if you've been working with vSphere since you did your training, so taking O&S would push your learning further.