VMware Cloud Community
Camwhite
Contributor
Contributor

Clones and Licenses

I'm new to VMware and have pretty much been thrown into a position where I need to know a lot quickly so I appreciate any help I can get.

What I have are 70+ separate hosts (Dell R220) in remote locations each running 2 or 3 guests. All are managed in Vcenter.

Here is my scenario: One of these guests is the heart of each location. If it goes down, the site locks the doors and goes home.

In the unlikely event that an aztec warrior walks into one of these sites and chucks a spear through the server rack and it manages to pierce both SSD hard drives running through a raid configuration; we have a backup process to recover from the savage attack. We have a script that is kicked off by a scheduled task once a month. This script creates a clone of the guest and stores it on an external eSata drive connected to each host. It stores 3 clones and always deletes the oldest so the drive does not fill up after a couple years of cloning.

My question that could probably have been asked without all of the above information:

Do I need a separate ROBO license for each clone that is strictly for backup purposes and would never be run in conjunction with the guest that it was cloned from?

Thanks!!!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
wreedctd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I do not believe you need any additional licenses. But I may be wrong.

0 Kudos