VMware Cloud Community
Brechreiz
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 5.5 Update 3 : No Network with Server 2008 VM's after Upgrade! (and VMXNET3 Network Adapters in VM)

I just wanted to Update my 2 ESXi Server  (Dell R610) from ESXi 5.5 U2 27xxx to 5.5 U3.

But after Update Server 1 an vmotion VM's to this Server, all my VM's with Server 2008 (32Bit and 64bit) have no network access and they can't be found in Network.

VM reboot: No success, VM tools update no success.

VMotion Back to "old" ESXI with 27xxx Version, all VM's work fine. VMotion back again to U3... Problem is there again.

Hello Vmware, what the Hell is there going on?

EDIT:

Rollback to ESXi 2718055, Server 2008 VM's working like before on Server1.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Techie01
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Can you share some more details on the configuration. Is the problem specific to windows2008 or other VM's also? have you been able to see any specific error in logs. Share the section of /var/log/vmkernel.log during the vmotion failure

0 Kudos
Brechreiz
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Techie01,

i don't see a "/var/log/vmkernel.log".

So I try to be precise as possible.

Long Version:

The VM's with the Problem started in 2009 on ESX 4.0, Same Dell R610 as today. They where new created Server 2008 VM's, VMXNET 3 Adapter with MAC Adress in Range 00:50:56:BC:XX:XX.

VM Version 7 for all these VM's.

The Problem only exist on Server 2008 32 and 64bit VM's. No Problem with WinXp, Server 2003, Server 2008R2, Server 2012R2 VM's.

Also I have no Problem with Vmotion, this worked fine. I was also be able to work in these VM's with the Vmware C# Client. With the Client I could reboot the vm an so on.

So, "just" these VM's could not access the Network after Vmotion from ESXi 5.5 2718055 to ESXi 5.5 U3 (3029944).

My 2 ESXi 5.5 Host are nearly the Same. Dell R610, 10 NICs, ISCSI  SAN.

And the Problem only appears in the Server 2008 (Windows Vista code?) vm's.

As these are my 2 only Servers I am not able to do more testing.

For testing I migrated a not working Server 2008 VM from the ESXi 5.5 U3 Host back to the other Host with ESXi 5.5 (2718055). > VM is reachable again. So VMotion again the to the "new" U3 one: > Network Problem is there again.

I do not tried to reboot the ESXi Host with 5.5 U3, to test that the Problem disappears with a reboot. Just because all the other vm's working without Problems.

Our Vmware License would allow me to open a Case at vmware. But at the Moment I just have no time for investigate this further.

I'm working with ESX since 2009 (Started in May 2009 with ESX 4.0 (164009). The ESXi 4.1 and 5.5. Vmotion Since 4.1.

But such a Problem I had never before during a Host Upgrade with update Manager.

At the End I just made an Bootbank-Rollback and have again 2 working servers.

http://vmwaremine.com/2012/03/30/how-to-roll-back-update-1-from-esxi5/

I hope you can understand my "German" English"

0 Kudos
blazilla
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

have you tried to ping from inside of the VM to the gateway? Do you use E1000 or VMXNET3 NICs? Do you "see" the mac-address of the VM on the switchports of the source or destination ESXi host?

Best regards Patrick https://www.vcloudnine.de
0 Kudos
Brechreiz
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Patrick,

ok, i just tried to ping the domain controller, not the gateway. The ping gave no result, like a not working nic. The Nic change from "no internet" to a red sign with "no network". after VM reboot. VM shutdown, move to the other Host, reboot, VM is reachable. During all this testing the other VM's on the "new" ESXi 5.5 U3 Host worked without problems!. So really strange.

All The Problematik VM's have VMXNET3 Network Cards. Because the one is the File Server and the other the ERP System Server and DB server (license is pined on Network-MAC of the 32Bit Server), i was not willing to do some more "trial and eror" to get more Problems.

What do you mean with "Do you "see" the mac-address of the VM on the switchports of the source or destination ESXi host?" Maybe you ask me in our native language at vmware-forum.de? 🙂

0 Kudos