VMware Cloud Community
UsmanGh
Contributor
Contributor

Storage Migraton and Left Files on Old DataStore

Hi,

I did VM migrate from one Datastore to another and old datastore , I can find following files. Is it safe to dismount the old Datastore

HQVODI01.vmx.orig

HQVODI01-vss_manifests9.zip

HQVODI01.vmsd.orig

another VM has

HQEDDB01.vmx.orig

HQEDDB01-000001.vmdk.orig

HQEDDB01.vmsd.orig

HQEDDB01_1-000001.vmdk.orig

HQEDDB01.vmdk.orig

HQEDDB01_1.vmdk.orig

Regards

Usman Ghani

2 Replies
vNEX
Expert
Expert

Hi,

based on the suffix they are not used and usable in such form and are probably leftover by some 3rd party solution rather than by storage vMotion ...

So from this perspective it is safe to delete them...

nevertheless (from vSpeher 5 above ) if you  try to unmount such Datastore you will be presented with unmount prerequisite check that will

prevents you from such operation because of existing VMs...

If you want to be sure about those files you can perform these checks:

Verify the last time they were used:

# ls -ltr /vmfs/volumes/<DS_UUID>/<VM_DIR>/  | grep vmdk.orig  ;  | grep vmx.orig

To verify if the file is locked use:

# touch /vmfs/volumes/<DS_UUID>/<VM_DIR>/HQEDDB01.vmx.orig ...

or

# vmkfstools -D /vmfs/volumes/<DS_UUID>/<VM_DIR>/HQEDDB01.vmx.orig

If you want to  verify what HQEDDB01.vmdk.orig contains you can mount it to another VM or use VMware Workstation or

VMware Disk Mount utility here:

https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/details?productId=47&downloadGroup=WKST-550-DISK-MOUNT-UTL

_________________________________________________________________________________________ If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points. (use Correct or Helpful buttons) Regards, P.
bansne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In any sVMotion , files which get left out in source and do not move to destination are they ones not in use and are known as Zombie disks.

I suggest , click on browse datastore:

check the date they were last updated , it will be old

Try renaming them , if it allow it confirms they are anyway not in use.

remove it from datastore , again i say if it allows you then confirmed it was never in use.

In my infra it happens very frequently

Instead of svmotion i first try create test snapshot , then delete all snapshot from snapshot manager , it help in consolidation.

0 Kudos