VMware Horizon Community
whibr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Provisioning VM and using vGPU for design applications

I am wanting to create App Stack's containing graphical CAD design applications that we will assign to users logging in to a vGPU-enabled non-persistent desktop pools. Has anyone provisioned such applications in an AV version 2.9 App Stack?  I have been successfully provisioning and deploying apps like MS Project/Visio on VM's that aren't using vGPU desktops for some time now.  With App Volumes, though, I think I remember reading in the past that you should not install the Horizon agent on the provisioning VM,  If that is still the recommendation, then I won't be able to activate the vGPU environment on the provisioning VM when installing my applications since that requires a Horizon PCoIP session (and NVIDIA display driver in the guest).  Maybe the applications would still work just fine if I use my other soft 3d provisioning VM and assign the stack to user on a vGPU vm, and I can test that, but I wanted to first ask if anyone else has been down this road yet and could share recommendations.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hey,

Just for the record, we did not package applications like CAD because we don't have any users actually wanting to use it but still.

All of our machines are equipped with a vGPU card (K1 in K120Q mode) and we did not install the nvidia drivers into our package machine. When packaging without it applications work like a charm in production with vGPU enabled.

Also, you don;t need the agent to have the vGPU enabled. The only thing you need to do is assign the vGPU to the packaging machine, install the drivers, uninstall the vmware agent and connect to it using the console. It is not the best of all options, that's true (due to funky mouise behaviour) but we've managed to package applications still.

0 Kudos
Jason_Marshall
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

‌The issue with having the view agent installed has been resolved with 2.9. You are good to go and we have done some testing with other customers with vGPU with solid success so far.

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Many posts and just wanted to add to this one.

Good to have you back Jason Smiley Happy Smiley Happy...

0 Kudos
Jason_Marshall
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

yes sorry I was away for a while. Was trying to fix all issues from all the posts Smiley Wink

0 Kudos