VMware Cloud Community
NelsonCandela
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

[VOA] vRealize Operations Manager > VOA Reports display values I cannot select myself

Dear folks,

I was wondering if you can help me with a question regarding the visibility of values and data in combination with the VOA bundle.

As you know, the VOA bundle comes with a bunch of reports that consists of different views.

These views are used to extract information from the vSphere environment like distribution of VMware Tools, showing idle VMs and plenty of other stuff.

But now comes the problem: No matter what I try, I cannot reproduce several of the these included views.

For example:

I select the pre-defined view "Virtual Machines Guest OS Distribution" as included in the VOA package.

Subject this is linked to vCenter-AdapterVirtual Machine.

Data this is linked to Summary|Guest Operating System|Guest OS Full Name.

I have provided a Gifcam-Recording showing what the problem is:

Subject-and-Data-Problem.gif

The pre-defined view contains this Guest Operating System information I cannot select myself, no matter what I try. This data selection simply does not exist, yet it is referred to in the report.

What kind of restriction is this? Why does the report display values successfully I cannot even see?

Has anyone else came across this issue and knows how to handle this problem?

Any help is much appreciated!

With best regards

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I am logged in as the admin.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
greco827
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

After re-reading your inquiry, I think my last post didn't answer your question.  However, this one should ...

The reason you are not seeing Guest OS Full Name under the Data tab, is because you are looking at Metrics, not Properties.  Click the little icon in the upper left hand corner nest to the filter field, and it will switch to properties.  Now you will see Guest OS Full Name under summary as a data option.

vROps_Report02.jpg

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful https://communities.vmware.com/people/greco827/blog

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
NelsonCandela
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Dear folks,

this entry is now almost 1 month old with no replies so far.

Isn't anyone able to reproduce this strange behavior for the VOA reports?

Can someone please try to reproduce this, open up one of the VOA views as in my example, remove the data entry and try to add it again?

Thanks and best regards

NC

0 Kudos
greco827
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish in the end, but that property, Summary|Guest Operating System|Guest OS Full Name is contained within the Filter tab.

vROps_Report01.jpg

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful https://communities.vmware.com/people/greco827/blog
0 Kudos
greco827
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

After re-reading your inquiry, I think my last post didn't answer your question.  However, this one should ...

The reason you are not seeing Guest OS Full Name under the Data tab, is because you are looking at Metrics, not Properties.  Click the little icon in the upper left hand corner nest to the filter field, and it will switch to properties.  Now you will see Guest OS Full Name under summary as a data option.

vROps_Report02.jpg

0 Kudos
NelsonCandela
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Dear greco827,

thank you very much, that indeed was exactly what I was looking for.

I have exported views to XML files, edited them and tried to find explanations in the depths of vSphere parameters documentation and couldn't find any. It's a bit of a shame I have to learn that that simple button click would have done the trick :smileyshocked:

Hopefully this is useful also to others so again let me thank you for that very useful information! Finally I'm able to edit these views completely.

All the best

NC

0 Kudos
greco827
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Glad I could help.  vROps can be tricky to get around in at times.