Jump to solution

vm customisation: do not customise

Hi All

When I create a template for w2k8r2 I do the following:

-create a vm

-install w2k8r2

-install all required patches

-install all enterprise software for our build

-shutdown the machine (no sysprep is run)

- template the virtual machine

Now when I deploy a vm'a from this template and select: do not customise... will the newly deployed machines still be sysprep'd and made unique?

Thanks

Dryv

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

How do I ensure my machines get sysprep'd?

quite simple,

Use vCenter Customization Specification Manager, prepar Cutomization Spec File for Windows, specify VM Hostname, license Key, Network Settings, and most important Generate New SID check mark.

see following post where someone has explained how to do this activity step by step.

Creating and Using VMware Guest Customization Specification » Adrian Costea's blog

now at the time of Deploying new VM from that Template of yours, please check Customise Guest OS -> Select the Customisation Spec. File that you have created. and go on with deployment.

Rest will be done for you as your newly deployed machine will be syspreped,

This way you won't have to worry about SID, but along with that many other things will also be taken care of.

Narendra Padmani VCIX6-DCV | VCIX7-CMA | VCI | TOGAF 9 Certified

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Now when I deploy a vm'a from this template and select: do not customise... will the newly deployed machines still be sysprep'd and made unique?

No, it won't.

0 Kudos
Dryv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So would I ever need to use this option?  Isn't it potentially dangerous as I could end up with lots of VMs with the same SIDs I think? 

How do I ensure my machines get sysprep'd? Do I build my master machine, sys prep it and shut it down and then make it a template and then deploy that? 

Sorry for all the questions. .. just trying to get this straight.

0 Kudos
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

How do I ensure my machines get sysprep'd?

quite simple,

Use vCenter Customization Specification Manager, prepar Cutomization Spec File for Windows, specify VM Hostname, license Key, Network Settings, and most important Generate New SID check mark.

see following post where someone has explained how to do this activity step by step.

Creating and Using VMware Guest Customization Specification » Adrian Costea's blog

now at the time of Deploying new VM from that Template of yours, please check Customise Guest OS -> Select the Customisation Spec. File that you have created. and go on with deployment.

Rest will be done for you as your newly deployed machine will be syspreped,

This way you won't have to worry about SID, but along with that many other things will also be taken care of.

0 Kudos
Dryv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Perfect. .. Thank you.

I still don't understand the purpose of do not customise but thanks for helping me out.

0 Kudos
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Do not customise is a choice, which will help me when I don't want to do Customisation triggered by vCenter server but I would like to do it on my own later.

or

Let's say I am cloning a VM, my plan is to place clone copy of this VM in an isolated network for some troubleshooting so I don't want to do customisation of guest in this new VM but want it to be exact copy of existing VM. in this case I would chose 'Do not customize'

if there's a need, it can be used.

0 Kudos
Dryv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Awesome. .. Thank you. Always good to understand these things inside out.

0 Kudos