VMware Communities
objectref
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

SCSI vs SATA in VM hard drive settings.

Hi,

i just upgraded to Fusion 8. I have a MacBook Pro 15" mid 2015 (the one with the flash SSD) and i installed Windows 10 Home in a VM.

In VM settings/hard disk i see three options for "Bus type": SCSI, IDE and SATA. The default that Fusion chose is SCSI. Is it better to leave it as it is or should i set it to SATA ? As i will be using Visual Studio on Windows, every perf gain will be more than welcomed and wondering if that switch will make any difference.

Thanks a lot for any help.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

If it makes a difference then the difference will be quite tiny as the limits are enforced by the host system.

The defaults are normally your best bet on this as they are tuned by VMware.

In this case the virtual SCSI device AFAIK has a larger queue depth as the SATA one, so -at least in theory- it should get you a better performance by sticking with the scsi virtual disk.

PS: I mention -in theory- as I have not personally run any performance tests on Windows 10 guests.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
objectref
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No one ever wonder about this ?!

0 Kudos
Stefdar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Many, but they searched for the answer..

0 Kudos
objectref
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yeah, right. I forgot that forums exists just to occupy space on servers and not to help us all. Anyway.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

If it makes a difference then the difference will be quite tiny as the limits are enforced by the host system.

The defaults are normally your best bet on this as they are tuned by VMware.

In this case the virtual SCSI device AFAIK has a larger queue depth as the SATA one, so -at least in theory- it should get you a better performance by sticking with the scsi virtual disk.

PS: I mention -in theory- as I have not personally run any performance tests on Windows 10 guests.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
objectref
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you wila, i will just use the VMWare defaults then, as you say!

Thank you, again.

0 Kudos