VMware Communities
TacoSocko1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is it possible to have 2 subnets acess the internet and eachother?

Hi guys, thanks for reading!

So, I'm taking a VMware class right now, but it's really simple. They don't go much into networking, but being me I'm always trying to learn everything I can about anything. I was tinkering around with the Virtual network editor and figured out how to use it.

Here's the thing though, I have a Win2k12 server and my own machine. My home network is 10.10.1.100

My virtual machine  is on VmNet2 (10.5.1.100), however I want to be able to connect my VM to the internet.

It's only allowing a host only connection, I guess I'm not too network savvy.

Basically what I'm trying to accomplish is to have my computer which has an IP and subnet of 10.10.1.101

connect to my VM that is 10.5..1.101. While still maintaining connectivity to the internet and other devices on the network if needed.

How, or "can" I achieve this?

Thank you for your time!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

with VMware's hosted products there are basically 3 different networking options available in the Virtual Network Editor, Host-Only, NAT, and Bridged. Host-Only - as the name already suggests - is used if the only network communication required is between the VMs in the Host-Only network and the host system. Bridged is usually used if the VM needs external access, and also needs to be accessed from externally. NAT - which might be the option you are looking for - is used for VMs which need external access, but do not need to be accessed (except for the host system). So what you may want to do is to configure the NAT network (vmnet8 by default) with the settings you need.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

with VMware's hosted products there are basically 3 different networking options available in the Virtual Network Editor, Host-Only, NAT, and Bridged. Host-Only - as the name already suggests - is used if the only network communication required is between the VMs in the Host-Only network and the host system. Bridged is usually used if the VM needs external access, and also needs to be accessed from externally. NAT - which might be the option you are looking for - is used for VMs which need external access, but do not need to be accessed (except for the host system). So what you may want to do is to configure the NAT network (vmnet8 by default) with the settings you need.

André

0 Kudos
TacoSocko1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you, that worked!

So if you don't mind me asking, why does NAT work?

I was under the assumption that NAT routed data over the network and "tricked" it into thinking it's all on the same network.

So if you had two different subnets or computers, they would share the same IP Address.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I hope you don't mind me pointing you to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_address_translation instead of me explaining it here how it works.

Anyway, think of an Internet router. It does the same thing, i.e. uses a single public IP for all the systems connected to the router, each using its own unique private IP address.

André

0 Kudos