VMware Cloud Community
humblre
Contributor
Contributor

vcenter server 5.5 upgrade to 6.0 error

When I try upgrading our vcenter server during the prelim checks it comes back with the generic can't authenticate to Legacy vCenter Server. When I look at the vpxd log I see the following.

2015-08-25T14:55:14.544-04:00 [03160 error 'HttpConnectionPool-000001'] [ConnectComplete] Connect failed to <cs p:000000000996e770, TCP:"vcenter server name dot our company domain":7444>; cnx: (null), error: class Vmacore::TimeoutException(Operation timed out)

2015-08-25T14:55:14.544-04:00 [05380 error '[SSO]' opID=3bcdd662] [UserDirectorySso] AcquireToken exception: class SsoClient::CommunicationException(Operation timed out)

2015-08-25T14:55:14.544-04:00 [05380 error 'authvpxdUser' opID=3bcdd662] Failed to authenticate user <administrator@vsphere.local>

any ideas?

0 Kudos
17 Replies
sakthivelramali
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

Please check the below

vCenter Server requires these ODBC drivers and clients when connecting to various databases:

If any other driver that are not listed is detected, it produces the symptoms described.

Thanks Sakthivel R
0 Kudos
humblre
Contributor
Contributor

The ODBC drivers are ok. This is from the UpgradeRunner.log

ERROR upgrade.states.preupgrade_state Cannot get access to legacy VC Inventory //127.0.0.1:443, because of Error: (vim.fault.InvalidLogin) {

dynamicType = <unset>,

dynamicProperty = (vmodl.DynamicProperty) [],

msg = 'Cannot complete login due to an incorrect user name or password.',

faultCause = <unset>,

faultMessage = (vmodl.LocalizableMessage) []

}.

0 Kudos
dnix
Contributor
Contributor

humblre was this ever resolved?  I have the same error during the same upgrade.

humblre

0 Kudos
humblre
Contributor
Contributor

No. We elected to upgrade to VCSA.

0 Kudos
dnix
Contributor
Contributor

Basically that's the equivalent of doing a fresh install of 6 wouldn't you say?  I am leaning towards that as the upgrade won't get by the error and I've tried a number of different things including re-registering the inventory service which I found a few people said worked for the error.

0 Kudos
LucianoPatrão

Hi,

I write an article regarding some issues we can find when upgrading vCenter.

Check if any of these issues is what you are encounter.

http://www.provirtualzone.com/vmware-vcenter-how-to-upgrade-windows-vcenter-5-0-to-vcenter-6-x/

Also sometimes the administrator@vsphere.local password is important and if we use some password characters the upgrade will fail.

Check here: https://kb.vmware.com/kb/2060746

Hope this helps.

Luciano Patrão

VCP-DCV, VCAP-DCV Design 2023, VCP-Cloud 2023
vExpert vSAN, NSX, Cloud Provider, Veeam Vanguard
Solutions Architect - Tech Lead for VMware / Virtual Backups

0 Kudos
dnix
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply.  I took at look at your post and not the same problem!  Wish it was.

I am stuck where it asks for vCenter Single Sign-on user name/password

then below

vCenter Server user name and password

I check user the same credentials for both

I know I am using the right password as I can login to vSphere with it.  I also do a reset with the vcadmintool.  If I type a different password for the single sign on it fails right away saying single sign on password is wrong.

The problem I encounter is a message box saying

Error: There is a problem authenticating into the legacy vCenter Server using the credentials provided by the user. Resolution: Check if vCenter Server is up and running. Double check provided vCenter Server credentials.

then inside the upgraderunner.log file

2016-04-21T18:37:13.954Z ERROR upgrade.states.preupgrade_state Cannot get access to legacy VC Inventory //127.0.0.1:443, because of Error: (vim.fault.InvalidLogin) {

dynamicType = <unset>,

dynamicProperty = (vmodl.DynamicProperty) [],

msg = 'Cannot complete login due to an incorrect user name or password.',

faultCause = <unset>,

faultMessage = (vmodl.LocalizableMessage) []

}.

0 Kudos
LucianoPatrão

Hi

We are talking about the administrator@vsphere.local right?? If yes, did you check the VMware KB regarding the type of password??

Also double check if vCenter Server is up and running.

Luciano Patrão

0 Kudos
humblre
Contributor
Contributor

If I remember right off but we did a vc 5.5 to vcsa 5.5, because inventorysnapshot  wasn't supported in 6, so was we were up and running in 5.5 vcsa there was a migration path, turned out not to be that bad. Still looking at emails and pings will post more if I find anything.

0 Kudos
dnix
Contributor
Contributor

Yes that username.  I can login to vCenter currently with that account so its up and running.

Yes I did look at that link regarding the password characters which is why I did the reset to a generated one.  I had to keep doing generate until one without the characters mentioned in the article came up.

I am thinking about just uninstalling 5.5 and install 6.  I know the VMs wouldn't be able to vMotion during that time but will anything else be effected?

I already installed vCenter 6 in a new environment in our other data center withouth any problems.

0 Kudos
humblre
Contributor
Contributor

check this  InventorySnapshot

0 Kudos
LucianoPatrão

Did you try to reboot the vCenter after a failed attempt and then try again the upgrade?

Luciano Patrão

0 Kudos
dnix
Contributor
Contributor

Yes its been reboot a bunch of times in the last day with all my attempts.  Reregistering the inventory service requires a reboot too. Thinking the full uninstall and reinstall version 6.  Just thinking what would I lose if I do that.

0 Kudos
LucianoPatrão

Hi,

Well you could always create a new one and then run a script that will migrate everything(hosts, VMs, networks, Pools, folders and permissions) to the new vCenter.

Luciano Patrão

0 Kudos
DHicks201110141
Contributor
Contributor

A couple of things I noticed stopped my upgrade that might be worth checking..  First I know you put you'd looked at which special characters won't work in passwords, I found these:

PASSWORDS - Cannot contain:

- (dash)

? (question mark)

_ (underscore)

( (left parentheses)

= (equal sign)

! (exclamation mark)

, (comma)

Second I had to go into administration and make sure that vsphere.local is set as the default identity source as I also had my domain as an identity source.

0 Kudos
dnix
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion.

I did the reset on the administrator@vsphere.local and kept generating until a password without those characters was generated.  That didn't help same error.  Tried reboot then retry same error.

I set vsphere.local as the default identity source as it wasn't the default.  Same error.  Tried reboot then retry same error.

0 Kudos
dnix
Contributor
Contributor

Got by the message finally after talking with VMware support.  Non public article said to look for acquire token time out

In the VPXD log shows the acquire token timed out

2016-04-25T13:58:17.451-04:00 [06572 error '[SSO]' opID=4f739011] [UserDirectorySso] AcquireToken exception: class SsoClient::CommunicationException(Operation timed out)

2016-04-25T13:58:17.451-04:00 [06572 error 'authvpxdUser' opID=4f739011] Failed to authenticate user administrator@vsphere.local

add handshake timeout in file vpxd.cfg

Old settings

<vmacore>

<threadPool>

<TaskMax>90</TaskMax>

<threadNamePrefix>vpxd</threadNamePrefix>

</threadPool>

<ssl>

<useCompression>true</useCompression>

</ssl>

</vmacore>

new settings