VMware Communities
Virtually
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

BUG - Guest does not sync time resume from suspension

As described.

Believe the affected scope is likely all VMware products running any kind of OS, but in this case

Lubuntu 14.04 and openSUSE 13.2 Guests, configured with ntp (sync time with external timeserver)

Workstation 11

Description:

When a Guest is Power > Suspend and then later Resume, the Guest does not sync with time however it may be configured. In my case, all my Guests sync with a timeserver (ntp) and do not sync with the Host system.

This should be an absolute requirement for all Guests which resume after having been suspended.

AFAICS, the Guest itself has to be completely ignorant of change in status because the OS wasn't suspended, it's purely a VMware function, so VMware has to be the one responsible for ensuring the Guest time is updated.

Tony

0 Kudos
1 Reply
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Tony,

What you are describing is not the expected behavior.

If you haven't already done so, I recommend reading Timekeeping in VMware Virtual Machines (PDF), particularly the sections on Using VMware Tools Clock Synchronization and Using NTP in Linux and Other Guests.  It explains precisely when VMware Tools will perform a clock sync, how to configure the VMware Tools clock sync, and how to configure NTP optimally for use in a Virtual Machine.

I also recommend going through the Troubleshooting section towards the end of the document and seeing if any of the advice there allows you to get time sync working properly.

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos