VMware Cloud Community
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

vsphere 6 linked mode on thick client

When I login to vsphere6 web client to one virtualcenter, I see all 3 of my virtual centers

but when i login from the thick client, I only see one.

any idea? Do I have to manually configure linked mode on the thick client?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
jagdish_rana
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi There,

Are you using the internet browser in thick client?

Thanks

0 Kudos
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You can view and search the inventories of all linked vCenter Server systems within the vSphere Web Client. The vSphere Client does not support Enhanced Linked Mode.

vSphere 6.0 Documentation Center

please see above documentation link, as it is mentioned. Linked mode is only supported by vSphere Web Client.

Narendra Padmani VCIX6-DCV | VCIX7-CMA | VCI | TOGAF 9 Certified
0 Kudos
jagdish_rana
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

The vSphere Client does not support Enhanced Linked Mode. 

https://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-60/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.vmware.vsphere.vcenterhost.doc%2FGUID-6ADB...

Enhanced Linked Mode provides the following features for both  vCenter Server on Windows and  vCenter Server Appliance systems: 

■ 

You can log in to all linked  vCenter Server systems simultaneously with a single user name and password. 

■ 

You can view and search the inventories of all linked  vCenter Server systems within the  vSphere Web Client. The vSphere Client does not support Enhanced Linked Mode. 

■ 

Roles, permission, licenses, tags, and policies are replicated across linked  vCenter Server systems. 

To join  vCenter Server systems in Enhanced Linked Mode, connect them to the same  Platform Services Controller, or to  Platform Services Controllers that share the same vCenter Single Sign-On domain.

I hope it will help.

Thanks

0 Kudos
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

thank you. so does this mean if I continue to use the thick client, I would need to login to 3 different vcenters?

0 Kudos
jagdish_rana
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Yes please. VMware is doing more focus on web client now.

You can use web client on the thick client.

Thanks

0 Kudos
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

what do you mean by

You can use web client on the thick client.

0 Kudos
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

in short, Enhanced Linked mode in not supported by vSphere client (which you are referring as Thick Client, aka vi client or C# based client)

I think Jagadish is referring term Thick Client in the context of actual Desktop PC, where you have web browser available so you can use Web Client on it.

Narendra Padmani VCIX6-DCV | VCIX7-CMA | VCI | TOGAF 9 Certified
0 Kudos