VMware Cloud Community
ricky73
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Create new Linux vm from an existing one

in ESXi 5.5 I have Linux machine (with LVM)and I need to create other 5 vm like this one, so there are suggestions/documents to create these machines.

I have to clone it?

After creation I have to change data as hostname, IP address, ...  about mac_address? Clone process applies this change?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
haripadmam
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi Ricky,

If your existing VM is new one, then you can convert it to template and deploy rest of the VMs from template. Else if you have any data/app in your current VM, just clone it and customize hostname, IP, etc. using customization wizard in VM clone wizard.

Refer below links and see if it helps.

vSphere Documentation Center

All the best!

Best Regards,

Hari.

0 Kudos
akblpatel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

You can use option clone to template to create template from your current Linux machine and create new Linux machine same as first one and you have option to change hostname, IP etc while creating Linux machine from template.

So for you this will be the best option.

keshavkant
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi ,

Yes as others suggested Cloning is the best for you ..Cloning a virtual machine can save time if you are deploying many similar virtual machines. You can create, configure, and install software on a single virtual machine, and then clone it multiple times, rather than creating and configuring each virtual machine individually.

Regards

keshav .

0 Kudos
jagdish_rana
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi There,

Please create a clone of existing Vm and convet it to template. Deploy the new VM from template.

Thanks

0 Kudos
manmohanbisht
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

Create template of this linux  before you put IP or any other unique details on 1st VM else if do not need it for  future use then simply clone it 5 times.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.

Manmohan Bisht

Vmware SME

0 Kudos