VMware Communities
Contributor
Contributor

Is it possible to share the Screen of the host on a guest machine? - host is not connected to internet.

Well, everything's in the title. nothing else to add at this moment ; )

5 Replies
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Best way is with 2 monitors.

Lou

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I either don't understand the answer or you got my question wrong. 

By sharing the Screen I mean... Seeing the contents of the other machines Desktop. Similar to what "remote Desktop" or "Teamviewer" does.    Letting you see the contents of the Desktop from another machine in realtime.

I do not need the ability to also control another "machine" - I just want to be able to see it.

In particular - I want to see in realtime the contents of the host desktop on the Guest machine. The tricky part is that the Host is not connected to the internet.

0 Kudos
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The Internet connection does not matter if they are on the same LAN subnet. However, I suspect you would get a screenshot  that would look like a pair of mirrors showing each other. A screen shot of a screen shot of a screen shot, etc. Otherwise, you could just use VNC or RDC.

Maybe I don't understand what you are trying to accomplish.

Lou

0 Kudos
NoelC1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Your VMware console is on the screen of the host.  Thus, what you're asking makes little sense.

You have several alternatives:  Use Windowed view so that some of the host's desktop is visible all the time, or use multiple monitors, or use Unity to see the VM's applications in separate windows on your host's desktop (I assume that's what Unity does; I haven't used it personally).

A trick, if you really, really want to go full-screen on the guest system, yet occasionally need to see an individual application on the host, is this:

1.  Hover your mouse over the VMware toolbar.

2.  While hovering there, press Alt-Tab on the keyboard.  That brings up the HOST's program list, not the one from the VM.

3.  While continuing to hold down Alt, Tab to the host system application you'd like to see/use.

4.  When you let up the keys that application will pop up to the top, over the top of the VMware desktop.

Hope this helps!

-Noel

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks to everyone who tried to help.

After trying a few option I found that this is indeed not possible.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos