VMware Cloud Community
tdeg
Contributor
Contributor

VCSA Install stuck on "Powering On Applicance"

VMware vCenter Server Appliance Deployment has been stuck on "Powering on appliance" for nearly an hour.  Please advise?

• VMware-VCSA-all-6.0.0-2800571
  • Browser: Chrome Version 44.0.2403.157 m

Update:  After 4 failed attempts on the same host (ESXi-10), I tried the install on another ESXi (ESXi-1) host and installation completed successfully. I'd still like to figure out what caused the Power On to hang with ESXi-10 though. Any ideas as to cause?

power.PNG

0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Did you check the appliance's state at this time from the vSphere Client? Was it powered on? Did it show any warnings/errors on the console, or in its log file?

André

0 Kudos
HABaki
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

0 Kudos
utsavagarwal2
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue 😕

XXX com.vmware.vc.guestOperations.GuestOperation.formatOnVm not found XXX

XXX com.vmware.vc.guestOperations.GuestOperation.category not found XXX

in the Appliance event log.

0 Kudos
HABaki
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Got it solved. Was installing on ESXi guest that is installed on ESXi host, but when installing it on ESXi host, it works.

0 Kudos
NISMOkwim
Contributor
Contributor

HABaki, would you mind explaining what exactly the difference is between the ESXi guest and the ESXi host, in this case?

0 Kudos
eddiehaug
Contributor
Contributor

This is a known bug in vCenter Update 1: VMware vCenter Server 6.0 Update 1 Release Notes

See under Deployment issues:

• Attempts to deploy vCenter Server Appliance using an ISO image file might display incorrect deployment status
    When you deploy vCenter Server Appliance using an ISO image file, the deployment wizard might not display the actual process of the deployment. The wizard stops responding and displays as "Powering on appliance" even though the VCSA deployment is completed.

Workaround : The status of deployment can be checked in appliance console.

What I did was to keep the installation window open, then go to the dns address of the host, for example:  http://vcsa.lab.local

From there, you can access the ESXi user interface.  Log in using your ESXi credentials.  Go to the vCenter Appliance VM, open a console window and check the status, also check the tasks bar.

You'll see that in the console window you have this message (probably):

Screen Shot 2016-08-05 at 18.35.50.png

At that point, you should follow from Step 8 here: http://emadyounis.com/vcenter/deploying-vcenter-server-appliance-vcsa-6-0-u1-on-ravello/

As said, this is a known bug though, so I don't know if this is really the solution.

0 Kudos