VMware Cloud Community
vMackem1
Contributor
Contributor

Resource Pool and DRS set to Conservative

Hello All,

Been a while since i've been on here to access the knowledge of you guys but i'm glad to be back.

This may be a noddy question but i'm struggling to get my head around it.

I'm looking to create a resource pool on DRS enabled cluster (13 hosts in a 12+1 config) which is simple enough. I have to keep the Load Balancing set to conservative which is why i'm struggling around how we can deliver a logical set of resource from a pool of hosts without load balancing.

For example, if I assign 26GHz to a non expandable resource pool but 2 of my hosts in the cluster are at 90% then how can i deliver all the resource to a VM if DRS is set to conservative? I just cant see how the resource pool would be able to guarantee to deliver the resource if it cant balance the VMs and you end up with only a few HOT hosts.

I hope that makes sense and look forward to your responses. 

Thanks,

Dave

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jasoncain_22
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Dave,

What are you trying to get (your goal) from a new Resource Pool? (RP)

It seems like you are trying to apply a new RP to a DRS cluster. (clusterwide)

Two things to remember, a cluster in itself is a RP (parent) and a new RP attached to the cluster (child) is normally used to segment the resources of the cluster to a subset of VMs.

Are all 13 hosts consisting of the same hardware specs?

Jason

0 Kudos
Jimmy15
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Agree with Jason.

If both the hosts are 90% utilized and Expendable is NO the RP will not go to Parent level. how would DRS help to allocate 26Ghz to VMs in this case.

DRS will through recommendations (if possible to manage)

Regards

Pankaj

regards

PS: Mark kudos or correct answer as appropriate 🙂
0 Kudos