VMware Communities
CookyMonzta
Contributor
Contributor

High-performance (3D) games in WinXP guest

After having recovered from losing my patience with the farce that is 'The MSI " Failed', and the equally-farcical "solution", I decided to give VMware Player 7.1.2 a try, because VirtualBox 5.0 was unable to display any 3D motion graphics.

I put VirtualBox to the test with 2 programs:  PassMark's Performance Test 8.0, and the original release of DOOM 3.  The PassMark test bypassed the 3D rendering test, and in my attempt to run DOOM 3,  I got the familiar error message, similar to this: "This program encountered a problem, and needs to shut down."

So, I tried both of these programs with VMware Player 7.1.2.  Though the 3D rendering test ran, it was slow, and limited to the window test (the full-screen test did not run).  As for DOOM 3, it also ran, but the graphics left me thinking that VMware Player needs a more powerful graphics emulator.

The first picture shows what the opening screen of DOOM 3 looks like in my 64-bit Windows 7 host.

The second picture shows what the opening screen of DOOM 3 looks like in my Windows XP guest.

I have Windows 7 Pro (64-bit), in a machine with an Intel Core i7-2700K CPU, 16 gigabytes of RAM and a GeForce GTX 760 video card.

My Windows XP Pro (32-bit) guest was set up with anywhere from 512 megabytes of RAM to 2 gigabytes, 80 gigabytes of virtual disk space and anywhere from 256 megabytes to 2 gigabytes of video memory, with 3D acceleration enabled.

For a guest setup like this, which was typical of many machines in 2005, I thought the graphics would also be typical of most graphics cards in 2005.  Unfortunately it is not even as fast as the Intel HD3000 graphics processor in my host CPU.

Is there a way to beef up VMware's virtual graphics processor, so that a game like DOOM 3 displays properly?  If not, then I suppose, like its problems with reinstallation (i.e., MSI failures), VMware Player is due for a complete upgrade and/ore overhaul of its WinXP guest additions.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
CookyMonzta
Contributor
Contributor

Just a thought here:  Is there a way to get VMware Player to tap into my hardware GPU (namely, my GeForce GTX 760) by way of some sort of passthrough procedure, so that my guest OS can use the power of my hardware GPU instead of VMware's virtual GPU?  If VMware Player can access one of the 4 CPU cores of my i7-2700K, then surely there must be a way to access perhaps 200 of my GPU's 1,152 CUDA cores.

Can any sort of GPU passthrough be done in VMware Player?  Or is it only available in VMware Player Pro  or VMware Workstation?

0 Kudos
CookyMonzta
Contributor
Contributor

Here is another thought:  Does NVIDIA have any 3D graphics virtualization software for VMware Player?  Does NVIDIA have any software that will allow VMware Player to access my GeForce GTX 760 card?  The VMware SVGA II 3D graphics accelerator will not work for a game as graphics-intense as DOOM 3 (as exemplified by the graphic I uploaded to this thread); and I imagine it won't work for Quake 4, either.  VMware Player will play Quake I and II as is, but will not play anything more advanced.

0 Kudos