VMware Cloud Community
DaveP
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Some initial feedback

I do like the new fling, and is especially useful in my secure test network. Whilst the company has a major deployment of vSphere, I am testing on ESXi hosts in an isolated network which only allows SSH, HTTP and HTTPS access. This means I can now more easily manage those test systems from the main network. In that environment the client works very well, is responsive and of course the HTML5 console is very useful as port 902 is not open for VMRC. Testing of the client has been very good and no problems so far on Windows with IE, Firefox and Chrome and Yosemite with Safari, Firefox and Chrome. Haven't tried Linux yet.

Two things to look at are:

1. Can you add OS X to the create VM options? Testing includes Apple Mac running ESX with OS X guests. I can power on and see existing guests but cannot create new ones.

2. The "Manage Host" "Advanced Settings" screen could do with a filter as there are 1025 items in the list. Maybe also categorize them as in the old C# client via a treeview.

There is obviously more to come with this fling but a good positive start.

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
elesueur
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Thanks Dave. I'll open a ticket to chase this down.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DaveP
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

OK - I just realised that you can filter by clicking the arrow in the column header.

0 Kudos
elesueur
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Thanks for the feedback Dave,

Re Mac OS guests - I'll have to ask around about that. The list of valid guests OSes and versions is actually retrieved from the ESXi host via an API.

DaveP
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

I ran some tests using nested ESXi on Fusion as per William Lam's blog entry (all works correctly smcPresent is true and can run a Mavericks VM), and used Fiddler to trace the calls. Darwin is returned as supported OS from QueryConfigOption call to API, but not displayed. Also if I open the VM properties for the Mavericks guest the correct OS is displayed but in the Windows family. Can supply traces if helps.

0 Kudos
elesueur
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Thanks Dave. I'll open a ticket to chase this down.

0 Kudos
DaveP
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

OS X guest actions are now working as expected. Many thanks.

0 Kudos
elesueur
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

No problemo!

0 Kudos