VMware Cloud Community
pdrace
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Recovery testing intervals

I run SRM tests of recovery plans on a weekly basis. I've also run a real recovery and failback for further verification.

I am being asked how often the second type of test should be run, yearly, semi-annual etc.

What do you do and recommend in terms of test frequency?

Should a real recovery be run for testing when Vcenter/SRM is upgraded or is running tests sufficient?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vbrowncoat
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

That is great that you are testing so frequently. Nice to hear. It really depends on your environment and your requirements. When I was a customer and partner helping customers I usually found it to be once every 6-12 months, though this was really more to keep the business happy, from my standpoint a test of the recovery plan was sufficient.

A failover/failback might make sense after upgrading, though it wouldn't necessarily have to be the entire plan. It could just be done for a subset or test group.

As I mentioned at the beginning though, it really depends on your comfort level and your business requirements.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
vbrowncoat
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

That is great that you are testing so frequently. Nice to hear. It really depends on your environment and your requirements. When I was a customer and partner helping customers I usually found it to be once every 6-12 months, though this was really more to keep the business happy, from my standpoint a test of the recovery plan was sufficient.

A failover/failback might make sense after upgrading, though it wouldn't necessarily have to be the entire plan. It could just be done for a subset or test group.

As I mentioned at the beginning though, it really depends on your comfort level and your business requirements.

0 Kudos
pdrace
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

That sounds reasonable.

Thanks

0 Kudos