VMware Cloud Community
geolink
Contributor
Contributor

Inherited a ESXi 5.0 server -- where to start?

Greetings, all. I have ESXi 5.0 running on a Dell PowerEdge T310 server and could use some help getting up to speed. I've been watching VMware Ed videos, reading a lot, and getting to know the vSphere Client and what it can do. Still, I could use some help with questions would welcome any suggestions.

We have just the one server with one host, 2 VMs (though only one is in use, our main Win2008R2 server). There is just one Datastore (Datastore1) which I guess is stored on the Dell's RAID6 array. I don't even know if we're using the free or paid version of ESXi (how do I find out?)

As you can see, I'm pretty much a vmWare newbie, though I've got 20+ years of IT experience, mostly in the Windows environment.

Thanks very much for any help or suggestions on how to best get started taking care of this vSphere setup!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
cykVM
Expert
Expert

Hi,

to find out license state you can log on to the host with vSphere client and mark the host/IP -> configuration tab -> select "(Software section) Licensed features" [first option below Software]

The license typ is displayed on the right side.

If you have a paid license you may also check if an administrative MyVMWare account exists for the VMWare webpage(s) and probably doument the license key for the paid license.

cykVM

0 Kudos
geolink
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, cykVM. It says:

ESX Server License Type

Product: VMware vSphere 5 Hypervisor Licensed for 1 physical CPUs (unlimited cores per CPU)

License Key: xxxxx.... etc.

Expires: Never

Product Features:

Up to 32 GB of memory

Up to 8-way virtual SMP

So if it's licensed does indicate whether it's a paid version or...?

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
cykVM
Expert
Expert

No, that looks like the free license. A paid license would mention for example 'Enterprise' or 'Essential'.

0 Kudos