VMware Edu & Cert Community
kaku999
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

which one 5th or 4th generation with 16 GB laptop is best for VCP practice at home.

Dear All,

which one 5th or 4th generation with 16 GB laptop is best for VCP practice at home ? 5th Gen require more budget as compared to 4th Generation.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

‌4th or 5th generation what? Newer usually means faster, but how much so depends on what hardware you're referring to.

You'll need 32GB of RAM ideally to run a vSphere 6 virtual lab.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

‌4th or 5th generation what? Newer usually means faster, but how much so depends on what hardware you're referring to.

You'll need 32GB of RAM ideally to run a vSphere 6 virtual lab.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I agree with Scott. The limiting factor for a lab is usually not the CPU. I'm running a home lab on an 2nd generation I7 CPU with 16GB RAM, and didn't have CPU issues so far. The limiting factor has always been the memory. Btw. I suggest you consider to use a SSD to store the VM's, this makes a significant difference.

André

0 Kudos