VMware Cloud Community
jusride
Contributor
Contributor

vROp's 6.0.1 Dashboard configuration

I'm trying to create a dashboard which contains the Object List widget (pointing to Adapter Types > Container) and Scoreboard widget. The Metric Config XML looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>

<AdapterKinds>

<AdapterKind adapterKindKey="VMWARE">

<ResourceKind resourceKindKey="VirtualMachine">

<Metric attrkey="mem|granted_average" label="Memory Granted" unit="KB" yellow="50" orange="60" red="80" />

<Metric attrkey="cpu|corecount_provisioned" label="CPU Core Count" unit="" yellow="50" orange="60" red="80" />

<Metric attrkey="diskspace|provisioned" label="Disk Space Provisioned" unit="GB" yellow="50" orange="60" red="80" />

</ResourceKind>

</AdapterKind>

</AdapterKinds>

Unfortunately the Scoreboard never populates with anything when the Container object is selected under the Object list. It only works correctly at the VM level. I'm trying to pull these metrics into the Scoreboard using a group of VM's (VM's associated with a Custom Group). Is there another way to select the Container Group and have it populate the Scoreboard with Memory Granted, CPU Core Count and Disk Space Provisioned for all the VM's in the Custom Group?

I might add I have a Supermetric setup using the individual custom groups and this works great except there are so many groups the home page tabs are cluttered now. I thought the Object List widget would be a better option.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

This XML will only work when you passed VirtualMachine objects to the Scoreboard widget, that is expected since you only defined attributes for that object type. Your second portion of your statement doesn't come across clearly. The solution would be to have Custom Groups (CGs) that have SMs that roll up these aggregate #s for cpu, mem, etc. So it sounds like you're most of the way there. Just build a metric interaction file that include XML for CONTAINER adapter and whatever custom group type your using for object type. .. so if you had environment type custom groups:        

<AdapterKind adapterKindKey="CONTAINER"

<ResourceKind resourceKindKey="EVIRONMENT"

In terms of organizing your customg roups, there are two ways to accomplish a clean-up:

1. Create a new custom group type, only including the CGs for your use case. Then, filter your object widget to just those object types. I prefer this method.
  2. Create a custom group, and populate it with your custom groups you wish to isolate or view.. so we're nest CGs here. Then, when you configure the object widget, select that parent CG and select "child" and it'll populate the containing CGs of that parent. This method sometimes has advantages and allows some use cases for scoped reporting/views.
If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos