VMware Horizon Community
hkunc
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 10 Support in Horizon View

Hi,

is there a timeframe for Windows 10 Support in VMware Horizon View? Didn´t find anything according to Windows 10... or am i blind?

best regards,

Holger

11 Replies
glennvelsol
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

As far as I know, Windows 10 is compatible with VMware horizon already, but your hyper-visor isn't fully...which will need an update to be released shortly.

0 Kudos
SysteembeheerNS
Contributor
Contributor

I got the following problem with Windows 10. Sometimes on the first logon i get a black screen. Then i kill the view client and start a new session there is no problem.

Windows 7 / 8 i dont have any problems.

Vmware View windows 10.PNG

0 Kudos
MattDav
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Haven't seen that behavior.  Unless it's related to this.  I'm still using this fix so it's possible this is still needed.

Re: Updating Windows 10 Enterprise 64 from 10074 to 10130 fails with LSI Paravirtual disk & View...

After solving the Windows Activation Issues, the only problem I'm having is a blank Start Menu, and Windows Edge browser missing.  Still scratching my head on that one.

-Matt

0 Kudos
anvr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi SysteembeheerNSD,

You mean the use of VMware Horizon Client installed on Windows 10 gives sometimes the blankscreen?

I have the same issue here.

Think the client is not compatible yet.

And to access a Windows 10 desktop in View 6.1.1 is an nice job for next week :smileylaugh: .

Regards

Ronny.

0 Kudos
TrotmanRalphCBS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm looking for the support dates 7, plus any docs on optimization since the experience of win10 on view is pretty laggy compared to win7

0 Kudos
glennvelsol
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm posting from a Windows 10 VM on Horizon 6.2. I don't notice any lag. I optimized my image like I always do with the VMware optimizer and group policy.

0 Kudos
ajlafrance
Contributor
Contributor

We have a pool set up using Windows 10.  With one user, all is good.  More than one user and it gets laggy.  We used the optimization tool and it still does it.

0 Kudos
MattDav
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESXi 6.x

vSphere 6.x

Windows 10 VM on v6.x host.

I'm noticing this behavior now when taking snapshots.  First boot after the snapshot, the VM seems frozen.  I have to restart it then it's fine until the next snapshot.

Not sure if this is related.

0 Kudos
Gaurav_Baghla
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Hoger,

Windows 10 is supported with Horizon 6.2 Release Notes for VMware Horizon 6 version 6.2

It is also supported on vsphere

6.0 U1

5.5 U3

5.5 U2

Refer to the compatibility Guide https://vmware.com/go/hcl

Regards Gaurav Baghla Opinions are my own and not the views of my employer. https://twitter.com/garry_14
0 Kudos
Gaurav_Baghla
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If you upgrade from a Windows 8.1 desktop to Windows 10, log in to the desktop, and press a key on the login screen, Windows displays a black screen and the desktop is unusable.

Workaround: Take these steps:

1. Connect to the machine from a vSphere Web Client console or RDP (not from Horizon Client) and use the on-screen keyboard to log in to the Windows 10 guest operating system.
    2. Open Device Manager, logging in with administrator credentials when prompted.
    3. Select Keyboards.
    4. Right-click the displayed keyboard device and select Properties.
    5. Click the Driver tab. The current driver should be the Lenovo ThinkPad PS/2 keyboard driver.
    6. Click Roll Back Driver to go back to using the Microsoft keyboard driver.
    7. Reboot the Windows 10 system.
  • Windows 10 unmanaged machines are displayed as Windows 8 on the Registered Machines page in View Administrator. vCenter Server-managed Windows 10 machines that are in manual desktop pools and Windows 10 machines in automated pools are displayed correctly as Windows 10.
    Workaround: None
  • Windows 10 is not supported as a guest operating system for ThinApp in this release of Horizon 6.
    Workaround: None
Regards Gaurav Baghla Opinions are my own and not the views of my employer. https://twitter.com/garry_14
0 Kudos
Bouda0175
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Agreed with the laggy system. I am using about 80 desktops now with Windows 7 which are optimized by optimization tool and system consumes about 300 MB RAM. Everything is really fast, no lagging. I decided to test Windows 10 in the same environment with the same optimization tool. I have some issues about uninstalling windows store apps, they are like crapware. I created pool with 5 desktops. Logging was quite longer then I expected and user experience is not as good as on Win 7. I think, the Win 8.1 was faster. For the las I tried last technical build 14352 which was much faster than official build. I guess, the best way is to wait for big update this summer. Anyone has different experience?

0 Kudos