VMware Communities
clemd
Contributor
Contributor

"Test Drive Windows 10 on your favorite VMware Products" - Oh Really? Seriously? (EDIT: Install instructions now included!)

Why would VMware send me a marketing email this morning with the subject line above and the following lead copy? What am I missing?

"Quickly and easily discover Windows 10 today by running it in a Virtual Machine on your Mac or PC with VMware Fusion and VMware Workstation... Fusion Pro... Fusion... Buy/Upgrade/Download Trial"

With the very-well-known "VMware SVGA 3D" issue which prevents Fusion users from installing the Windows 10 upgrade from v.8, this seems misdirected. "It's Microsoft's fault, it's VMware's fault"... whatever - all I know is when I try to install Windows 10, the Windows compatibility checker says I can't.

Am I to take this morning's email offer from VMware to mean that I have overlooked the fix for the compatibility issue? Did I miss some other way of "test-driving" Windows 10?

Or is this just extremely lame marketing which ignores the reality of the current situation for current customers?

Disappointing....

EDIT: Here's what "quickly and easily" apparently means for Windows 8.1 users (since it doesn't mean "Simply click Upgrade in Windows 8.1..."):

1. If you haven't already done it, follow the workaround here to get an upgrade reservation
  2. (Thanks to mikeroysoft‌) Download the iso for Windows 10 to your Mac from here
  3. (Also per mikeroysoft) Take a snapshot of your current Windows 8.1 VM
  4. In your 8.1 VM, open the Windows 10 installation iso from the CD/DVD toolbar icon ("Choose disc or disc image...")
  5. If it doesn't autolaunch install, navigate to that DVD via Windows Explorer in your VM and install Windows 10
  6. To fix the limited screen resolution issue that you may be experiencing post-installation, you must manually load the VMware Tools installer per the instructions here.
  7. Run that installer from the mounted iso from step 6 (navigate to the DVD in your VM using Windows Explorer), and uninstall VMware Tools; then restart
  8. After restart, follow steps 6 and 7 again, but this time install VMware Tools.

And that, kids, is how I was able to "quickly and easily discover Windows 10" with VMware Fusion 7... ugh...

Message was edited by: clemd to add "quick and easy" Windows 10 install instructions

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
0 Replies