VMware Communities
JohnHighway23
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1 on VM (Running VMWare Fusion 7.1.2) - Only 3 Available Screen Resolutions

I'm running VMWare Fusion ver 7.1.2 and I've just upgraded my Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 and now all my icons are HUGE and my screen resolution choices are limited.

I've made sure that 3D is turned off on the display settings of Fusion (which allowed me to upgraded from Windows 8.1). I have a 2013 MacBook Pro Retina 15".

IMG_7069.JPG

This is how the icons look

IMG_7068.JPG

Also, enabling the Retina display option didn't help matters.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Brianjamesb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had the same issue. I reinstalled the VMWare tools and selected repair. Fixed it on reboot.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

If you turn 3D back on, does the issue persist?

Is it the same in Full Screen as well as Single Window?

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos
Brianjamesb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had the same issue. I reinstalled the VMWare tools and selected repair. Fixed it on reboot.

JohnHighway23
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

When I turned 3D back on, the problem still persist, even allocating 2048MB to the video memory. The resolution options remain the same.

Same with Full Screen, Unity and Single Window options.

0 Kudos
musicelect
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have the exact same issue: only three resolution options running Windows 10 under VMWare Fusion 7.1.2.

I've tried with 3D acceleration on/off, and Retina support on/off.

Screen Shot 2015-07-29 at 9.18.57 PM.png

Mark

0 Kudos
clivekay
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Check my last post .. You can either uninstall VMtools and re-install ( says a few people ) or do what I did, The wrong windows driver is used. You need the old VM3D driver . Go to the windows driver settings and change the driver . Go browse to find it and it is is in the Windows Old directory in system 32 sub.. Just do a search for the file vm3d.inf on your machine , then Right click it and install..

All resolutions are then back !!

0 Kudos
Eylandt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

‌could you upload the driver to someplace? I already deleted windows.old. I'm also unable to re-install vmware tools. Says that it has to be installed in virtual machine or something.

0 Kudos
JohnHighway23
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I followed the advice offered by Brianjamesb‌ and re-installed VMWare Tool which then automatically corrected the issue.

The instructions for re-install VMWare Tools can be found here:

VMware KB: Installing VMware Tools in a Fusion virtual machine running Windows

0 Kudos
tardis20
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you!!! Somehow found this and with the repair no more black bars on the side with whacky screen res. Yes!! Haha.

0 Kudos