VMware Communities
willwander
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 7.1.2 - Windows 10 Fail - VMWare SVGA 3D compatibility issue

So windows 10 is released today.

Unfortunately, this PC is unable to run Windows 10.

Compatibility issue:

VMWare SVGA 3D

The display manufacturer hasn't made your display compatible with Windows 10.

Major VMWare fail. Very disappointed.

3 Replies
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

This was addressed in a few places, but the simple fix is to install from the .iso file which Microsoft makes publicly available.

The problem is with a few versions of the validation tool incorrectly detecting virtual hardware and blacklisting the graphics drivers.

The issue affects Parallels and VirtualBox as well.

I wrote a blog on the topic, and everyone so far has had things work just fine with the method I describe.

Windows 10 and VMware Fusion | mikeroySoft.com

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
chuckl59
Contributor
Contributor

I keep seeing variations of this post, saying "Just upgrade from the full .ISO. It's easy." Well, that may be true for some or even most, but it isn't true for me and for others I've read on this forum and I find it disingenuous to suggest that that approach solves all of the problems people are having.

For me, using the ISO, I run into the problem where it's asking me for a valid product key. When I enter my valid Windows 7 key, it says it's not valid and doesn't allow me to skip it.

If I use the 'upgrade in place' method using the media creation tool by Microsoft, I run into the problem of not being able to accept the licensing terms because my uninstallation of VMWare Tools, including the SVGA driver make the 'Accept' button on the acceptance page go off-screen and no amount of <Enter> key combinations or tab keys seem to get me past it.

Really, this experience has, by far, been the worst (and most time-consuming) upgrade experience I've had and VMWare Fusion has been a key contributor to the problems encountered.

NOT A HAPPY CAMPER.

0 Kudos
mini2008
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

0 Kudos