VMware Cloud Community
JamisonClark
Contributor
Contributor

Using Hyperic or vR Ops to monitor mount points

Does anyone successfully monitor mount points on systems using Hyperic or vRealize Operations? Please share how this is done.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

What OS and filesystem type?

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
JamisonClark
Contributor
Contributor

I intend to monitor Windows and Linux. I have Solarwinds and the vRealize Suite, but am unable to monitor the same drives using vRealize Suite tools that I can easily with Solarwinds.

0 Kudos
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

To get OS monitoring, you'd use Hyperic agents. This will get you your mount points. That would also give you more data than Solarwinds would, and would be significantly more reliable given the queuing ability and consistent reporting intervals. Also, you would then aggregate your data with vR Ops instead of building out SQL/DB infrastructure to support your SW implementation.. side-by-side, vR Ops is going to be easier to maintain in terms of data retention and overhead since it's all self-contained.

Solarwinds is different, in that it is often implemented using agent less capabilities. People do this because it is 'easy' and don't feel like installing agents. And I can understand that, I've been there, you need to be realistic about what you can do sometimes regarding agents. The trade-off is, the agent-less monitoring gets chatty over the network and becomes prone to missing collection intervals or not produce 'regular' data points within Solarwinds.

For example, I once had an engagement where it was a bake-off between Solarwinds and Hyperic. I integrated SW's data in to vR Ops. The results were shocking when you compared SW CPU % and Hyperic CPU % side-by-side. What was observed was Solarwinds was nowhere near as consistent in collecting data as the Hyperic data stream.. data points were sliding all over and dropping from time to time. I verified this a couple time in the SW DB to ensure I wasn't just missing data somehow, and did confirm that the missing data points simply weren't 'there' within SW. And the funny thing about it is, within SW's user console this inconsistency was masked/not as clear in their charts.. it wasn't until you actually checked the data points within another tool like vR Ops that it became known that the SW monitoring was shaky. Then factor in Hyperic/agent monitoring ability to queue data in network drops/congestion, and you've got a clear winner. The result in my case was, Hyperic won and became the go-forward tool.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos