VMware Cloud Community
McClanahanDee
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrading esxi 5.1\5.5 to v6.0 using patch

We have the free version of ESXi on many of our remote servers.  They either run v5.1 or 5.5.  On a test machine, I had v5.1 running.  I inadvertently ran the most recent update for esxi v6 on this test machine.  After the host rebooted, it came up as showing it was running version 6.0.

Is it really running version 6.0 now?

Is this bad thing?

If not, can I upgrade all of our other machines from 5.x to version 6.0 using the "ESXi600-201507001.zip" patch?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
SavkoorSuhas
Expert
Expert

Hello Sir,

Yes, if the ESXi when highlighted in the vSphere Client shows up as 6.0.x on top of summary tab, then it is upgraded to 6.0

If it is a production environment and you have a cluster, then, having 5.x and 6.x mixture is not a best practice. In that case it is advised that all hosts are on the same build.

If this just a standalone host for testing purposes then there is no harm as such. Just make sure that the Server Hardware is compatible with 6.0

www.vmware.com/go/hcl

Suhas

If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.

Don't Backup. Go Forward!
Rubrik

0 Kudos