VMware Cloud Community
FreddyFredFred
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Which log file should I check for this problem

I've got a machine running a program we created that is supposed to connect to vcenter and pull data about the vms. It's run daily via scheduled task but it isn't working anymore. Just stopped working one day and nobody knows why.

It used to run daily, then maybe once a week it would work and now it just refuses to work. If I use the windows vsphere client and watch the active sessions, I can see the user flash on screen briefly but it goes away just as quickly and our program terminates. If we run the app via unc path from our desktops though, it works (it connects with the same service account regardless of who starts the app)

I've been trying to find a log on vcenter server 5.5 (Windows) which might give me a hint as to what is going on but I haven't found much. Can anyone point me towards which log file(s) I should check?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
SavkoorSuhas
Expert
Expert

Hello Freddy,

Programs interact with vCenter via API calls. For this, it would be best to check the vCenter logs. vpxd logs. As there will be logging of API calls done to the vCenter Server from the third party applications.

For location of vCenter logs:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=102180...

Suhas

If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.

Don't Backup. Go Forward!
Rubrik

0 Kudos