VMware Cloud Community
Wanly
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Question about Virtual SAN Partition

We know that Virtual SAN can handle partition scenario for single component. But what does it handle multi components scenario?

For example:

VM1 has 3 components - Home/VMDK1/VMDK2 on a 4 nodes Virtual SAN cluster.

If the cluster split 2 partitions which 2 nodes due to multicast problem. Home and VMDK2 reside on partition 1 and VMDK1 reside on partition 2.

What does HA do on this scenario? In my test environment, the VM1 can not start. Is it reasonable?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
zdickinson
Expert
Expert

It depends on vSAN 5.5 or vSAN 6.  This is how it's handled in 6, VSAN 6.0 Part 1 - New quorum mechanism - CormacHogan.com

In your case, your essentially created a failure of 2 nodes and a 4 node cluster can only have a max failure of 1 with rebuild space.

Thank you, Zach.

0 Kudos
Wanly
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

It's Virtual SAN 6 cluster.

Actually we have 6 nodes, the cluster split 2 partitions. Each partition has 3 nodes.

We can found that the cluster had been split to 2 cluster. Each cluster has their own master node.

We have 60 testing VMs on this cluster. Some of them report component missing. If the components were stored in 2 partitions. The VM can not be started.

Wanly

0 Kudos
zdickinson
Expert
Expert

Why did it get split into two partitions?

I'll stick with my original answer.  Split like that is essentially a 3 host failure and with 6 nodes, the most FTT you can have is 2.  Thank you, Zach.

0 Kudos