VMware Cloud Community
11lim
Contributor
Contributor

ESXI 5.5 exception!!!!!

Hi All,

I have machine with an ESXi v5.5.0 Build 1993072 version that fails with exception. This happens very often (very annoying:smileyangry:).

Few details on the hardware:

CPU Cores: 4 CPUs x 3.392 GHz

Processor type: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU 3.40GHz

Adapter Type used is E1000E

Any idea what can cause this exception? Also exception stack might be changed from time to time. I attached the latest exception I got today.

20150723_085757_HDR.jpg

I will be so happySmiley Wink to get any help

Thank youSmiley Happy,

11lim

0 Kudos
6 Replies
cykVM
Expert
Expert

Hi,

Exception 13 and 14 PSODs are hard to diagnose remotely. They could be hardware and/or software relatede. Some general information is found here: VMware KB: Understanding Exception 13 and Exception 14 purple diagnostic screen events in ESX 3.x/4....

Does the PSOD always occur during a certain operation (e.g. backup) or does it occur randomly? Which mainboard is in use and whioch storage controller (as it looks like a whitebox system from your specs)?

I would perform a brief memory test with memtest86+ and also test the other hardware if possible (you may use Ultimate Boot CD for example). Also check for BIOS updates and firmware updates for the storage controller, NICs etc.

It might also be temperature related, so check if CPU heatsink is seated properly and all colling fans working.

Your screenshot is showing build 2068190 istead of the mentioned 1993072 by the way. Maybe an build upgrade went wrong?

cykVM

0 Kudos
11lim
Contributor
Contributor

Hi cykVM,

Thanks for your reply.

I will check your ideas, thanks,

PSOD occurs randomly after standing by few hours, even when nothing is going on there.

BIOS Version: MCH8710H.86A.0047.2013.0606.1508

Intel Chipset DH87MC

Sata Mode AHCI

Core I7 4770

16GB RAM memory

Thanks again,

0 Kudos
cykVM
Expert
Expert

So it's an Intel DH87MC desktop mainboard which is not on VMWare's HCL.

As you mentioned the PSOD occurs in stand-by/idle mode, is some sort of power-saving activated in BIOS? With not fully compatible hardware this might lead to such issues if the cores are clocked down or turned off for power saving.

0 Kudos
11lim
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, I will check that.

0 Kudos
11lim
Contributor
Contributor

It did not help.

0 Kudos
cykVM
Expert
Expert

So far I could not find anyone having the same motherboard and running ESXi. The only thing which might help in finding a solution would be the other exception stack(s) as they might contain further information on the source of the exception.

The stack in your screenshot looks somehow like there's something wrong with the storage controller/AHCI mode and the virtual SCSI driver.

Did you use a (self-)customized installation image to install that host?

0 Kudos