VMware Communities
chentom60
Contributor
Contributor

vm workstation strips vlan tag, any idea how to prevent?

Hello,

It looks like the VM workstation is stripping off VLAN tags of incoming packets to the guest OS? is there a way to avoid that? Here is my configuration:

A most recent version of VM Workstation V11 is installed on a x86 desktop running Windows 7. A virtual machine (VM) is created, then Linux Ubuntu is installed. The VM has a bridged network interface, eth0. I created vlan 10 interface, ie, eth0.10. An test client is connected with vlan tag 10 enabled. Then I ping from Ubuntu to test client. However, I find that client can receive ping packets from Ubantu (on VM) but Ubuntu can not receive its response. However, wireshark (on Ubantu) shows that response packets are actually received but with vlan tag stripped by the workstation.

Any idea how to prevent VM workstation from stripping vlan tags of incoming packets?

Tom

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
chentom60
Contributor
Contributor

somebody posted a similar question on another forum last year, so it is like a known bug, not sure if it has been fixed or there is any patch for workstation on Windows.

networking - tagged (802.1q) traffic and vmware workstation on linux - Super User

0 Kudos