VMware Horizon Community
bjohn
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Events not being recorded in Event DB

We recently upgraded view to 6.1 and have noticed that not all events are being recorded in the events DB. It seems to randomly not have logon/logoff for users when queried. Completely random. Anyone else experiencing this? Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
h3nkY
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I guess reconfiguring event DB will solve the issue. If not please open support ticket.

What does event DB look like in dashboard?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
CameronUBC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

In View Admin only the most recent 4000 or so (I think this is the official number?) events are searchable. If you have lots of events that's likely what's happening. Are you sure these events are not being recorded? Try this fling out and see if the events are in the database on the back-end side: Horizon View Events Database Export Utility – VMware Labs which I think is not limited to the most recent 4000 events.

0 Kudos
bjohn
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Tried the fling, but get the same results. The events just doesn't seem to be making it into the DB. I know users are logging in out, but they are just not being recorded.

Could be an issue with SQL?

0 Kudos
bjohn
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Anyone else experiencing this? I have restarted the VM's, connection servers etc.. Still don't see all events being recorded.

0 Kudos
h3nkY
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I guess reconfiguring event DB will solve the issue. If not please open support ticket.

What does event DB look like in dashboard?

0 Kudos
Rausche
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I also notice that some events are not being written to the log after upgrading to 6.1.1 -- event volume has been very high since the upgrade (many many warnings / errors due to decreased reliability of the farm) so I wonder if the CS is getting overwhelmed and dropping some events?

0 Kudos
bjohn
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I suppose that could be the problem. I'm on 6.1. This is really becoming a problem since I'm not able to see events and troubleshoot. Is there a way to check if the events are logged on the connection server itself? to check if it's just not making it to the DB?

I have 4 connection server (2 internal and 2 external) and they all point to the same DB. I don't have a "prefix" set. Could that be the problem? I never understood what the prefix stood for.

0 Kudos
j_rodstein
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Big John,

Yes, you have to set a prefix for the database.  If you use SQL, set it up with settings similar to these:

Database Server:  SQL-server (I just use the host name, not FQDN)

Database type:  Microsoft SQL Server

Port: 1433

Database Name:  ViewEvents

Username: viewevents (I use a local SQL server account)

Password:

Table Prefix:  EV

Just to make sure, too.  from your connection server, you can telnet to port 1433 (again, assuming you use SQL) and make sure that port is opened.

Thanks and Good Luck

0 Kudos
bjohn
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Thanks, but I was able to get this working by removing and re-adding the event DB in the View administrator console.

0 Kudos
bjohn
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

This problem seems to be back. Random events not showing in the DB. Is there a way to check to see where the issue is? on the DB side or view side? Am I the only one?

0 Kudos
h3nkY
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I fixed similar issue as yours in 6.1.1. But unsure without seeing connection server logs.

There are 2 options you can do:

1. Test using 6.1.1 in your test environment.

2. Ask your support channel whether your issue is the same as what has been fixed in 6.1.1 to ensure you won't face the same issue.

Thanks.

0 Kudos